Is cool edit pro really that cool

Tranko

Is cool edit pro really that cool or is it a program made for people that don't understand some of the more expensive programs. I mean cool edit is a fun program to work with but are any known musicians out there really working with cool edit pro because the only programs you hear about are pro tools, cubase, sonar and others. I guess my real question is can cool edit pro really compete with these other programs?

I just tried a google search on famous Cool Edit Pro users (engineers, musicians) but can't find any. The old Syntrillium site had a couple of names from time to time but it wasn't like - Pete Townsend of the Who - or Bob Ludwig of whatever his studio is up north...

Cool Edit does a couple of things I can think of that should have it competing nicely:

• - 32bit float wave files - if you believe in the whole float thing
    - Frequency Band Splitter - for easily splitting out freqs for multing
    - Fix Single 'click' - fixes that pop (or use native noise reduction)
    - Group Normalize (using equal Loudness) - match project loudness, if you believe in normalizing
    - Track Locking - 1 button automatically pre-renders a track if you use lots of effects it frees the cpu

Those are the unique things - there's also a bunch of other normal stuff it does. I use Cool Edit Pro 2.1 and Sonar3, Audition 1.0 has a couple of glitches for me I'm waitin for them to work out...

kylen

They are all more are less the same. If you are a mac user Protools and DP is convenient, if you are in PC Sonar and Cool Edit Pro suits yoru needs. I've worked in almost all the softwares from Protools to Sonar, but when it comes to wave editing, nothing beats CEP2. It is user friendly and it really rocks.

and don't forget the two effects that are unique for CE : gliding stretch and gliding pitch. when you're in to 'weird stuff' these really kick ass!!!!

I think you guys answered my question. I really do enjoy working with cep2 and am very pleased with the outcome.
Thanks

I'm really famous, and I'm a monster musician, and I use cooledit exclusively.

Okay, only one of the 3 things I just said is true, but regardless, I'd venture to bet that 90% of the edits you hear on the radio are done in cooledit. It's a staple of every radio station I've ever worked with, and there actually have been several.

The reason you hear more about ProTools, in my opinion, is that they aggressively marketed mid-level studios that got scared to death when the digital revolution started. So most "real" studios are ProTools friendly, so most "real" musicians that record outside of the studio use it as well.

Metallica's last album was recorded on ProTools, and it sounds like absolute dogshit, so I put more stock in the process than I do in the processing, pardon the pun.

very well put thanks brother. Like I said I will remain to use cool edit pro because I am very please with the progress that I am having. Thanks again...

if I had a mac I'd totally go with protools over cool edit... The reason St. Anger sounds so crappy is because they recorded the songs live in usually only one or two takes, then just added vocal harmonies and punched in to fix minor problems. It sounds raw because they wanted it to and it has nothing to do with they program they used to record it with.

mmistudent said:
The reason St. Anger sounds so crappy is because they recorded the songs live in usually only one or two takes, then just added vocal harmonies and punched in to fix minor problems. It sounds raw because they wanted it to and it has nothing to do with they program they used to record it with.

That's Chris' point.....

No matter how great you're gear is, you can still produce a crappy record.

And the reverse holds as well, it just takes a little more effort

chrisharris said:

Okay, only one of the 3 things I just said is true, but regardless, I'd venture to bet that 90% of the edits you hear on the radio are done in cooledit. It's a staple of every radio station I've ever worked with, and there actually have been several.

The reason you hear more about ProTools, in my opinion, is that they aggressively marketed mid-level studios that got scared to death when the digital revolution started. So most "real" studios are ProTools friendly, so most "real" musicians that record outside of the studio use it as well.

Metallica's last album was recorded on ProTools, and it sounds like absolute dogshit, so I put more stock in the process than I do in the processing, pardon the pun.

linkin park also used protools

chrisharris said:

hey, lets not knock ProTools. Metallica's last album was dogshit. ProTools is so good, it replicated the dogshit with perfection!!!

no sense in recording anything if you cant play well or if it isnt a good song. not that metallica is bad, i love their early stuff!

but CEP is awesome, i have to admit. i like to use it to mess around because it takes up less system resources and is so user friendly.

i did a "stacy's mom" remix for a friend and it came out perfect. everywhere the word "stacy" was, i replaced it with the name "rick", in a deep monotone voice, with no backround track behind "rick". its so bad its great.

well, the first year i was on cool edit, there was some thingy on TV, and there was this famous producer person interviewing, talking about all these famous people that went in and out of THAT studio...

i yelled at my guitar buddy to turn on the VCR...we played it back, frame by frame, and YEP...sure as S&!T...there it was,plain as day, on the desk in the back...

that OH_SO_RECOGNIZEABLE edit screen...left in the "stock" dark green/lite green color scheme...LMAO...

was good enough for me, product endorsement wise!

I mean, for a noob, I was like "whoa! cool! all these famous people tromp in and out of here, getting work done...and i have something THEY use for them...no excuses now..."

led zeppelin recorded one of their better albums on a (gasp) 4 track, battery powered, in the country. Do you really think Michaelangelo would have cared THAT much if you game him a different brush??? He'd of still been famous artist, i bet.

SEDstar said:
well, the first year i was on cool edit, there was some thingy on TV, and there was this famous producer person interviewing, talking about all these famous people that went in and out of THAT studio...

i yelled at my guitar buddy to turn on the VCR...we played it back, frame by frame, and YEP...sure as S&!T...there it was,plain as day, on the desk in the back...

that OH_SO_RECOGNIZEABLE edit screen...left in the "stock" dark green/lite green color scheme...LMAO...

was good enough for me, product endorsement wise!

I mean, for a noob, I was like "whoa! cool! all these famous people tromp in and out of here, getting work done...and i have something THEY use for them...no excuses now..."

led zeppelin recorded one of their better albums on a (gasp) 4 track, battery powered, in the country. Do you really think Michaelangelo would have cared THAT much if you game him a different brush??? He'd of still been famous artist, i bet.

Wow. Great post / good story.

I would not have guessed Cool Edit would be in a big studio.

I use it myself for "post production" type things, like to cut waves, fade in's / fade out's. Normalizing.

Converting Mp3's to Wav's and vice versa.

Simple and powerful. I really coudn't get by without it.

Back