Is Bass Guitar hard to play

CJ

Is four string bass hard to play. i am a drummer but i wont to learn a second insment.

Nope. Bass guitar is easy to play. I bought one two weeks ago and have no problems playing it.

... Well, I have played guitar for 40 years. So maybe that's at different angle. Anyway, getting my first bass guitar at 50 is very good fun.

Whether bass guitar is easy or difficult to play depends on the style of music. Some styles are so easy that it must be boring to play the bass, however important those bass notes are for the overall sound of the music. Other styles are so difficult that the skills required are on level with those of a lead guitarist.

Listen to the kind of music you want to play. Does it sound like the bass just playing a few notes over and over and not too quickly? Well, in that case go ahead. If you have musical ability you can pick that up in a few months.

(Hope, I haven't offended any bass players. Music wouldn't be worth listening to without you.)

Tom

if you played guitar you'll never learn how to REALLY play the bass (i'm a guitarplayer too;)) but honestly it's easy as hell to jam with a band but listen to primus and be amazed what a bass can do!

guhlenn

Sure, they say that it shows when guitarists play the bass. They can't help soloing a little. And most of the time that is not needed. Most of the time the bass should not catch the attention. It just there like the floor you walk on. You don't notice unless it's suddenly gone.

The reason I bought a bass guitar in the first place is the same reason I take part in this forum. I want to do some homerecording, some tracks to play along with on my guitar. And I felt a bass guitar sounded a lot better than the synth bass ... even though that can also be fine sometimes.

Tom

sure , your right, but what i ment is the exact opposite; guitaerist never learn to play the bass properly, cause we simply think of the bass as a guiatr with four strings. but listen to some real bass players man they do wicked things on the bass, including solo's...

greetz guhlenn

Ditto for me...I have a bass laying around here for recording, but i'd never call myself a "bass player"...It does a great disservice to all the real bass players out there :) They're probably all sick of us guitar player hacks thinking that bass is easy to play...bass is hard to play GOOD.

-travis

I can't agree more... The problem is that guitarplayers have got enough technique to play basic basslines, but they don't have the feel. Because they never LISTEN to basslines!

I once jammed with the dad of one of the bassists I always played with. It was huge. This guy has over 40 years of experience playing bass, and just by playing a few notes, he made it rock... A good bassplayer is the basis of a good band, together with the drummer, they get it to swing!

It's more than just setting the harmonic fundaments. It's rhythm too. Timing is important as hell. Playing just before or right after the time. It's these things that make a good bassplayer. This is more important than technique...

Of course, a maestro bass player would be just great to play with. But what skills are required? Speedy fingers? For some occasional show off, yes. Generally, however, a feel for what just sounds best is in my view is more important for a bass player. That is quite another skill which has little to do with fingers and muscles.

Since a drummer asked "is bass easy to play", I'll add this: A band can get along with a mediocre bass player, but not with a mediocre drummer. If the drummer sounds amateurish, the whole band sounds amateurish. Often you are better off with a drum machine hammering on without much variation, if you can't get a good drummer.

Tom

tombuur said:
...Most of the time the bass should not catch the attention. It just there like the floor you walk on. You don't notice unless it's suddenly gone...

BOOO!!! Bass players HATE that! :D I do anyway. Bass isn't a second class instrument.

Sorry, I need to make myself clearer. I am talking about attention, not classes or skills.

I have worked with other creative processes than music. And you always have elements without which the whole work would fall to pieces. Nevertheless several of these elements should not call for too much attention. That would be disturbing to readers, watchers or listeners (depending on your line of work). In music the rythm section works in this way to most non-musician, and even to a degree to musicians. Someone else mentioned that guitarists really don't listen to bass tracks, right!

And to be honest, who does the camera follow when you watch tv? THE SINGER. And then for a short while the lead guitarist while he soloes. And then it is singer, singer, singer again. Don't you just hate that? Wouldn't you like to see more of the other players? I always do. I even wish they would run a list afterwards telling what equipment the musicians used.

Tom

yes TOM,

that irritates THE HELL aout me. always showing the face of the singer... who cares??? i want to see the freakin' BAND play not the singer showing how good his lips move... again who cares? give me bandfshots equipment close-ups and show the f*ckin drummer ... drummers have great expression but never get airtime... too bad.

too the bassplayers; your right, but Tom ment i guess that bass just isn't a noticeable instrument in pop. but man do i love primus... lacquer head has this awesome bass solo... you know the part where everything goes silent and LEs (it is les right?) throws in this steve vai malmsteen 350 bpm bass riff... aaaahhhh

guhlenn

ps an example of a bad bass player that still holds up; soulfly's bassplayer... he stinks but itr isn't noticed

I've played guitar and keyboards for a long time and I think I'm pretty good. I bought my first bass guitar (Fender Jazz) just about a year ago. I've found it to be fun to play, but like any instrument it takes a lot of time and practice to get good and to develop your own style. When I'm playing it feels like my rhythm is really good, but then I record myself and I can hear that my timing is off slightly. It's that "feel" that makes a great bass part, and it's the glue that holds the rhythm section together.

I need to practice playing to CD's and cassettes more. That's how I started when I learned the guitar, and that helps a lot. I think learning to play multiple instruments is good in many ways, but it does take away from the time you spend on your primary instrument.

I'm not quite a real bass player, but I play it very serious and "real bass player" - like.

I've seen many guitarists playing bass guitar. Exactly the same way as I play guitar too. The finger position and the diffrent plucking technics (right hand) are totaly diffrent from a guitar.

If you have a musician ear and you hear the chord roots going up und down, you are very fast to be a good bass player. Unfortuneatly, it takes long time to hear what going on in a song.

If you prefer to practice slapping, you probably have to take lessons, or by the way there are also some good online slapping lessons...

But for all instruments, you have to practice and practice and...

In the beginning it hurts a bit when you strike the string with your right hand. But you'll get used to it.
What's very important: Play loud! I mean not to turn up your amp (I can imagine, you could...) but to hit the strings hardly. I've seen bass players, playing very well but they don't have a nice attack.
Try also to have one finger for each fret on the left hand. Start practicing in the middle of the neck, where the frets are closer. Then, start going to the left, where the frets are wider.

Just to note some points of all the others...

Search a band, where you can play and keep staying on bass, on don't change your instrument very month....
:-)

Lukas

Sorry for my english...

I'm sorry for having started sidetracking this discussion about "is bass easy to play" through my first reply. We should have had a thread called "guitarist trying to play bass", because that's what it's all turned into.

But since we are into this ...

I happen to pluck the strings with my right hand fingers when playing guitar. I played fingerstyle folk and classical guitar for several years before I went electric again. Would that put me in a different position to other guitarists as far as the right hand is concerned? Slapping strings with my fingers feels very natural to me.

Tom

My Opinion on guitarists playing bass

I agree that guitarists trying to bass sound like guitarists trying to play bass - untill - they get tired of getting that huge blister on the thumb part of your palm.

forget about plectrum picking, use your fingers,
fingerpick - slap - and bounce (for speed) your fingers off the strings. the "feel" will come, and your bass parts will become independent from yet tight with your guitar parts. If you use a drum machine, write the drums tight with both guitar parts and bass lines at the same time, but keep them realistic so a real drummer can handle them and add there own touches.

soloing bass is fine too, and a guitar approach is fine, after all, it is a bass guitar.

Now then, YES, bass played in a way you could listen too and recognize a song by, is difficult, but it's all what you put into it.

my 2.34 cents worth (cost of living went up)
TX

I'm a drummer (over 30 years) who is also a decent keyboard player, a fair guitar player and a hack on bass guitar.

As a drummer, I have a great respect for bass players who can really lay it in the pocket. I can almost always tell a guitarist turned bassist - they just don't understand the concept of groove.

Is bass easy to play? - On a functional level, yes - but on a level that allows everything else to groove, not easy at all.

I would think a drummer would have very little problem playing bass, once the basic (snort!) techniques are mastered.
Bass is, as previously said, mostly feel: listen to (using a crude example) the bass part on Jesus Just Left Chicago by ZZTop: what, maybe a total of 7 notes?? But he's right THERE with the drummer.
Another thing: a good bass player can make a mediocre drummer better. Just stand where you can see his foot, and hit a note every time you see the beater go up. For the drummer, it's like a turbocharged kick drum: instead of going "THMP!" it goes "BWANNNNGGGG!" This makes him want to keep better time, just to get that punch from the bass.
So go for it. Even tho, as someone already said, it's easy to play the bass... unless you do it right.

I don't think it's coincidence that the 3 or 4 best bass players I've played with are not uncomfortable behind a drum kit. They're not great technically, but they all could provide a pretty good backbone.

I'm a guitar player who purchased a bass for the same reason as most of you - recording. Like most of you, I don't need Jaco-like chops to "fill the void". Since I use drum machines or digital stuff for drums, I prefer staying away from virtual bass (although they certainly are interesting...). At least I can tell my friends that "I played all of the instruments except the drums....".

Back