Is anyone out there using LINUX Ubuntu for recording? what software?

Manor Music

I am asking the forum if anyone has a Linux based system that they use for recording?

I just hooked up with 3 computers all with Ubuntu and was wondering who had success with what...is it not worth the effort or maybe if you got Cubase working on your Linux box? let me know...thx!

I'm sure you could get Cubase working through the WINE programme thingy.

As for native Linux programmes, I haven't seen a whole many great ones. One of the few things stopping me from fully switching. I use Peppermint a lot, myself. Which is based on Mint, which is itself based on Ubuntu. So it works very well with the repos. Whilst also being speedy as.

I stayed up late and downloaded ARDOUR, AUDACITY a bunch of tuners and other programs ...along with WINE.

Audacity was better than the windows versions -more stuff comes with linux version,

ARDOUR told me it couldn't proceed without downloading JACK....but wt f is jack?

We will play with it more soon enough

JACK handles all the audio routing. It operates between device drivers and JACK-aware applications.

For any Linux distro, it is worth looking at Ardour. It is powerful and highly flexible.

For an inexpensive commercial product, try Harrison Mixbus. It uses part of the Ardour DAW engine, but adds it's own GUI and DSP plugins to emulate the sound of Harrison analog consoles.

A better approach might be to use a custom audio distro like AVLinux. This has many low-level optimizations in place and a lot of hardware will just work. It comes with a heap of software ready to go.

As always though, Linux users should research their choice of hardware before purchasing.

Paul

Yup, I've got the Ubuntu Studio distribution with Ardour and Harrison Mixbus. Mixbus is probably the better of the two but the thing about Mixbus is that it don't support MIDI. Only recording. However with the Harrison algorithms the programs SOUNDS really good. The tape sat sections really make a big difference.

Saying that, I don't really use them that often. I kind of got them for a novelty. I bought mixbus at the end of last year when they had their christmas special for $49. Can't go wrong.

I've also had problems getting Ardour to play nicely with my audio interfaces. Anyhoo, it's still a great, full featured program with lots to offer to anyone looking to record music on a free platform.

Cheers :)

Never had problems with Ardour and my gear. Started off using a Mbox2 then switched over to Maudio 2496 pci card which has allowed better realtime processing for midi. Been using it for 2 years now. The developers did a great job with the DAW. I've heard the Presonus digital 24 channel interface worked with Ardour3 without much trouble.

I would not recommend the Linux OS for serious recording. Actually, serious anything... multimedia, at least. From what I can tell, it's more of a programmer/ developer's platform and comes loaded with complications which had me scratching my head for days, looking for solutions, rather than doing anything creative.

I hope you have a different experience... but to me, it was the road to madness.

Last edited:
I traded an old Epiphone special for 3 desktops with Ubuntu...
they all run...
they all stream youtube fine.
there are just not as many available programs like a Windows machine.

I don't think there is a virus/malware issue with Linux because it is so much on the down-low.

I had spent a little extra time figuring out navigation and updates and such...
nothing too crazy I could not figure out.

Not good for serious recording? what is that exactly?
I don't know exactly what you mean by "serious" recording...
perhaps life is taken too seriously by some.
I would agree and probably not rely on a computer running Linux if recording was my bread and butter...

To the croud that does use Linux... the crowd that has actual experience recording with it....looks like either Audacity or Aurdor for my first two options.Any others?

Audacity has many more bells and whistles than it's Windows counterpart
and it is a bit more familiar than Ardour to me.

To the croud that does use Linux... the crowd that has actual experience recording with it....looks like either Audacity or Aurdor for my first two options.Any others?

Ardour is by far the more flexible and powerful, at the cost of a steeper learning curve.

I would not recommend the Linux OS for serious recording. Actually, serious anything... multimedia, at least.

Given Dr V's experiences with computers in general, one may wish to take this advice with a pinch of salt :D

Paul

Given Dr V's experiences with computers in general, one may wish to take this advice with a pinch of salt :D

Paul

Or perhaps with a pinch of information, which is freely available to all, (if one cares to look for it) on the Internet, in which even the key developers of Linux admit to issues with sound & video integration.

Do not bring a straw man of my so called 'personal experiences' into it, unless you're also willing to include mention of the sheer volume of users who experience technical issues with Linux on a daily basis. Go to ANY forum and see for yourself. Fact: Linux is a very powerful operating system but not geared towards ease of use for the average user. Anyone who knows anything about Linux will tell you it is not a Windows or Mac OS replacement and neither was it ever intended to be. If the OP or anyone wishes to experiment with it, then good luck to them but offering the caveat of what Linux is and what it isn't and what to expect and not to expect from it, constitutes sound and correct advice.

Dr V, you were obviously offended by my comment, which was intended to be a light hearted reference to your "blue screen" posts, so I offer my unreserved apology. Clearly the smiley did not make that sufficiently evident.

I will say that I have been using Linux solidly for the last 10 years. So I do know its strengths and weaknesses. My strategy has been to not go hopping from one distribution to the next but to stay with one and get to know it. I am not a Linux apologist or zealot by any means, but for every person who can't work with Linux, there is another person who can and does.

I also gave sound and correct advice earlier: to carefully research hardware before purchasing.

No straw men here.

Paul

Linux no good for audio? I beg to differ

Ubuntu and Linux in general are great OS choices for audio work.

I have a nearly 10 year old computer and can create CD quality stereo, burn it, even design a spiffy CD cover all with software I download for free.

Audacity is handy for quick stuff, but capable of producing finished works

Jack2, Ardour3 and the plathora of Jack aware software gives you pretty anything you could want. Hydrogen, Rackarrack, Yoshimi and Sooperlooper and bam you got a rythm track.

Stock Ubuntu is not the best choice though, replacing the stock window manager for a lightweight version like XFCE will help free up resources and is pretty easy. Tweaking the "swappiness" and knowing what your sound hardware is capable of both go a long way too.

Dr V, you were obviously offended by my comment, which was intended to be a light hearted reference to your "blue screen" posts, so I offer my unreserved apology. Clearly the smiley did not make that sufficiently evident.

It's really fine, honestly. It's only because it seems a recurring theme in this forum to discredit me on the strength of unrelated computer problems. I apologise if I came across too blunt back there.

I will say that I have been using Linux solidly for the last 10 years. So I do know its strengths and weaknesses. My strategy has been to not go hopping from one distribution to the next but to stay with one and get to know it. I am not a Linux apologist or zealot by any means, but for every person who can't work with Linux, there is another person who can and does.

In that case, I may feel inclined to ask your advice in future, if I ever decide to experiment with it once again. I won't deny, I was fascinated by Linux and it's possibilities at first and I agree that it works for some and not others. I'm just not sure how well...

I also gave sound and correct advice earlier: to carefully research hardware before purchasing.

Yes, you certainly did. Sorry for any aggravation earlier.

Cheers!

No problem Dr V. I really don't go out of my way to antagonize others, although I suspect that my sense of humour is best appreciated face to face.

I'll be happy to assist if you decide to have another crack at using Linux. Although I may not be able to address all issues, I can probably steer you to authoritative information sources. As I have mentioned, the first and most critical step is carefully researching the compatibility of hardware before you commit to a purchase. Otherwise, I will freely admit, you can be entering a world of pain.

Cheers, Paul

It was a Linux Spring...I get 3 working Linuxboxes
the computers all came with ubuntu 11.10
no trace of Windows...

I don't know much about installing Windows on a Linuxbox...let alone on a Windows system.

I can tell you my Linuxbox didnt automatically read my Windows XP disc.
and I got discouraged and quit.

We are going to keep one of the Linux computers and turn it into a rock-n-roll server for all of our bands and studio files...but the other two are destined to go back to Windows...They just arent navigatable and they aren't reliable in my own weekend of Linux...

Someday a Windows Summer will flood the valley with bright, semi-reliable rays of light peeking thru the clouds ofrecognizable software that generally works for my needs.:spank:

I have worked with Ubuntu for a few years, it is powerful, lightweight and extremely flexible. Once configured I is very stable. But, and this is a big but, with this flexibility comes complexity. As was stated, unless you want to learn about computers, Linux is pretty rough start. (I like it, just saying).

You can run Linux on just about anything, it really is one of the mos efficient OS's out there. There are a lot of things you can experiment with, but when you are ready to record, it could be a hindrance.

For installing Windows, go into your BIOS and switch your boot sequence to make the CD/DVD player first. Put Windows in during boot and it should take over. Have Windows repartition your hard drive and once Windows is up and installed, then if you want, you can install Ubuntu as a dual boot.

Hope I helped.

Back