Is anybody doing this?

mbuster

You know how you'll see an ad on TV for a band's new CD, and they'll play a short sample of the record's "hits"? Would it be a good idea to maybe have the first track on a three or four song demo have a couple of cuts of just the hooks from the songs? I figured since that's what they want to hear anyway, within one minute, the label guy, bar owner, whoever, would know if you had what they wanted, or at least set the CD aside for a more in depth listen later on. Kind of burst of "the goods", you know?
Just an idea, what do you guys think?

I thought about that once.....four track CD with 8 tracks.....four shortened choruses and four full lenths. It seems like a good idea, but you should put a good, quick fade so whoever hears it doesn't break the CD because it sounds like its skipping.

mbuster,

Don't ruin a good commercial record with such inclusions. A booking sample SHOULD already have short demo cuts, and whether it's a cassette or CD really doesn't matter much. We've used BOTH for many years without objection or rejection. If you raise any real interest, you'll need a CLEAN and proper version to present.

Hang in there, and Best of Luck!

TDA

The General said:
mbuster,

Don't ruin a good commercial record with such inclusions.
Hang in there, and Best of Luck!

TDA
I'm not sure if you really got my post. I'm not talking about a commercial record. Actually, I was just bringing it up as an idea. I don't even give out demos. I just make music for me. The reason I thought of it is because I always read in articles things like, " when submitting a demo to blah blah A&R, include ONLY THREE of your BEST songs, etc..." and "your song needs to have a HOOK within the first fifteen seconds, " and crap like that. But I know a lot of guys are actively submitting demos to all kinds of folks, and I wondered if it might be a helpful idea.
Thanks though.

IMO depends what it's for.

If it's a home produced thing as an exmaple of what you do live, say in bars, in order to get gigs, then a slection of three or four samples faded in and out should be acceptable. By this I mean you'd fade in the songs after the long intros are out of the way and before the catchy hooks or whatever, then fade out again.

I don't think it's a good idea on your 'album' as this should be a finished piece of work, not something with a 'trailer' on the start! Aren't those trailers on videos really annoying!

Ideally produce both and use both products appropriately. Horses for courses.

again, the first post states that I'm talking about a "three or four song demo" . This has absolutely nothing to do with a real album.

not a bad idea, but...

i don't think it's necessary to go to the trouble of editing your songs on the promo copy you send out to clubs and labels. i would put 3 or 4 of what you feel are the strongest cuts on a cdr, with a song that get's to the point fairly quickly up front. labels do have a short attention span, but they definitely want to hear all of something they might like. besides, a chorus might not be as effective without all the stuff that leads up to it and sets it up. this type of promo copy can also be sent out to college radio and the like.
i burn promo copies of a few songs with a descent looking label, as i need them, and use them for booking, press, a&r inquiries, and radio. it has worked well for me, is cheap, and saves real product for touring and shows.
just my 2 cents, as i'm sure others have ideas as well that have worked for them. good luck.
peace- jv

Back