Is a seperate mic preamp necessary with a 2488?

old crow

I know it seems like a stupid question, but I'm a newbie here and a newbie at recording. :D
I just bought a 2488 and am now shopping for a nice voc. mic. I've read that a good pre amp is a must w/ a large diaphram condenser mic., but I'd like to know if that applies mostly to d.i. to a computer? In other words is the pre amp section in the 2488 good enough? or should I also consider a seperate mic pre amp. :confused:

Don't worry about it. The preamp is one of the last things you need to worry about. Focus on learning your new tool and perfecting it's use.

Then maybe later you may want to get a few options in the preamp department.

If you have money to blow, you'll see an immediate improvement with a nice preamp and a nice mic. Nice pre as in RNP, Grace Design 101, Safesound P1, Sytek, or higher quality...anything less won't do more that what you already have in the 2488. The new Groove Tubes Brick is getting some good reviews for 400 bucks.

It just depends on what you want to do. If you're just now learning how to record, the advice from jake is about on target. If you're wanting some good sound quality in a hurry and have the bucks, get some extra preamps and some good mics.

Thanks Steve and Jake. I know I should concentrate on learning this machine, but you know how it is :D , So far I'm finding w./o. an outboard preamp or good condenser mike that the vocals are sounding muddy when recording flat and if I use e.q. or the vocal exiter then they really cut through but sound harsh.
I think for now I'd prefer to record vocals flat w/o comp, e.q. or exciter, but get a clearer, warmer thicker sound. That's why I'm thinking a good mike and pre would help.
My budget is around $1k for both. I'm leaning toward the Brick or Ditto, cause I like the idea of a real multi stage tube pre w/ transformer, but I've read that the SP for around $100. is o.k. too :confused:

I really doubt that the muddy sound has as much do do with mic/preamp as it does room ambience and mic technique.

Get a 57, hold it close and turn that pre up till you are hitting the recorder at a nice medioum level. The room sound will muddy things up in a hurry. Get some blankets and hang em a couple feet away from a corner and experiment with singing toward that. Remember that reflections from behind you are smearing the precision of signal you are getting to tape so try to reduce them if at all possible.

Thanks again Jake. I'll try the 57 or beta 58 with the foam removed and see how that turns out.
I have rugs hanging in the corners and have her mike facing a corner. I've dampened the walls but it has wood floors and stipple ceiling. Maybe I'll have to do something with the ceiling.

The 57 sounded pretty good ;) The 58 w./o. the windscreen still sounds muddy and the 421 sounds best :) It's almost as bright as the 57 but also has a fullness and warm quality to it.
Funny thing is, I thought her voice would sound better with a warmer colored mike but it doesn't. It sounds best in the mix with a bright mike, so maybe a condenser is the way to go ??? :confused:

The 421 is a great mic. It will beat the pants off many (if not all) of the budget condensor mics out there. Detail and clarity, fullness out the wazoo.

There's nothing magical about a condensor capsule, it's just another type of mic. Some are great and some are plain.

Quick question, are you tracking with any compression??

Back