Is a mixer also a preamp?

Gary

I have a cheap dynamic mic that I want to use to record into my Mac. Since I can't get a decent recording level I decided to get a mixer with phantom power to boost the input level of my mic. However, after reading posts on this board, I now see that phantom power really has no effect on a dynamic mic. So how do you boost the level of a dynamic mic? Can I do this with a mixer and simply not turn on the phantom power switch?

I was considering the ART Tube MP to boost the level but discovered that I also need a mixer so I'm now considering the Behringer MX602A. Will I be able to plug a dynamic mic into this mixer and get an increased level?

Last question, can I also plug my acoustic guitar (which is an electric/acoustic) into this mixer and get an increased level?

Thanks,
Gary

Gary -

Why do you think that you need a mixer?? Doesn't really sound to me like you need one. If you are only going to be recording one source at a time then the Tube MP would work for ya. Most mixers do, however, have at least one preamp built-in.

The Tube MP will also work for boosting your guitar level - and the tube preamp could also add a little bit of warmth to the guitar sound.

pratt

1) Stay away from Behringer mixers!
2) Phantom power is used for mic's (condenser) that need powering
3)Most boards have preamps! Check out Mackie's line of mixers for excellent pre's at a budget!
4) you need to have a acoustic pick/up to go direct into a board! Or mic your acoustic with the output going into your board

Pratt - reason I need a mixer is to combine my audio (computer) and midi (synth) outputs into the one input on my powered speakers.

Mystique - why should I stay away from Behringers? My needs are pretty modest as is my budget so this particular mixer seems to have everything I need (if indeed it does have a preamp). What are your particular criticisms of the unit?

On the guitar front, my electric/acoustic does have a pickup inside and a jack for a 1/4" line. I guess I'm all set?

Thanks,
Gary

Gary, Behringer mixers are notoriously bad, most
people around here would agree. They are built
poorly and are noisy.

Most folks around here prefer Mackie. You can
get a small one for around $300, I think.

I bought a spirit folio F1 mixer from Guitar Center
for $179. I like it a lot, very quiet. I havent done
much with the preamps, I mainly use it as a keyboard
mixer.

Gary -

Just to throw in some fair balance on behringer mixers - I own a 12 channel Behringer and have had no problems with the construction of the unit. My unit is pretty quiet, as well. Yeah, a Mackie may be a bit quieter and the preamps are said to be better, but they are also AT LEAST twice as expensive as their Behringer equivalent. You get alot for your money with Behringers, in my opinion.

just my 2 cents,
pratt

Pratt, just curious, what did you pay for your mixer?

I have only used a behringer once, didnt like it,
but perhaps I was too hasty in my response.

Does anyone have an opinion on the spiritfolio F1?
For $179, I think it was probably the best buy of
my gear.

DavidK -

purchased it brand new for $199 - I've seen them sell new on Ebay for $180. The Mackie equivalent to my mixer (the 1202) is going for $380 at Musicians' Friend.

I've worked with 1202s and they are nice, but for what I'm doing it wasn't worth pulling out an extra $200 for. Instead I spent that $200 on a Rode NT3, stand, and cable (a GREAT value in a small-diagphragm condenser)

like I said, all my opinion

peace,
pratt

Back