Is a DJ Mixer worthwhile for a hobbyist?

Cacique

Hi folks.

I read on this site that the DJ mixers are low quality. I'm interested in dabbling in home recording, I might like it, or I might not. I have read that a pre-amp or a mixer are needed for the mic and the guitar and I was wondering if these DJ mixers are worthwhile for the hobbyist? I am talking about something like this:

http://www.ptme.com/et/audio/dj/dyna/djtech.asp?section=gemini&sub=menu

If I liked home recording I could always upgrade to a quality mixer, but I'm wondering if a cheap mixer like this would even work for guitars, and could get me started?

Thank-you.

DJ mixers vary in quality just like other mixers. If you want one for recording, just get an inexpensive mixer designed for that. There are plenty of them. :)

I understand what you are saying, use the right tool for the job, but that particular mixer that I gave the link for has been offered to me rather cheaply. I just want to know if it will even work for guitars etc, or if the line level is too high in guitars for a mixer designed for turntables. I really don't know much about this stuff.

Thanks.

It's not a bad little DJ mixer, and as a starter, it will work, but mics plugged into it may be noisy. You can't plug electric guitar right into it, or probably bass either, and get good sound, but that's true of any mixer, really, DJ or not. It'll pass signal, don't worry about the levels, no problems there. A guitar with a battery-powered preamp would be OK, but noisy as well. If you can live with that, go nuts and have fun. :)

As far as price, it's a discontinued model, and unless you are getting it for a good bit under $100 US, I'd look at something different, if for no other reason than it's resale value is gonna be essentially zero. Again, if that doesn't bother you, go for it. If nothing else, you will have a DJ mixer to practice on, or lend/rent.

What are you recording to?

ps- this is a newbie question, and would be better in the newbie section. This forum is (or is supposed to be) for topics a bit more advanced than this. If you have more questions I'd put them there, or in the forum more appropriate to the subject.

I don't want to start no trouble ;), but this is a part of the "Newbies" forum description:

But if it's on a topic covered in another forum, best to post it there.

Just so you know, most DJ mixers, like the ones you've posted, do not have phantom power on their mic preamps. Therefore, you will only be able to use dynamic mics with them (there are so many inexpensive condenser mics out there that everyone should own at least one, or 10). Spend the difference and get a Yamaha MG series mixer or a dedicated mic preamp, like the M-Audio DMP3. You won't regret it.

Back