irritating high pitch female voice

Like that real young girl lately here on the forums who always posts up her singing vids, won't mention her name (hope she doesn't read this :) )...her singing style is irritating as nails on a chalkboard to me...yet she sings on-key and has a decent singing voice...but there is this strong nasally quality that's annoying to me, plus the overall style of singing.
There again, she's 13 and most kids that age, unless they're classically trained {there's no personality in that playing and one tends not to be aware of the players of respective instruments} would veer towards the kind of singers/ guitarists/ drummers or whatever that inspired them in the first place or that they particularly admire or that they feel they can get close to in style with what they currently have.
Amen.
AMEN AMEN AMEN
Hey, I thought there wasn't going to be a religion forum ? :spank: :D

Is there a little bit of autotune creeping in at some parts? It sounds like the vibrato was sometimes exaggerated a tad to far or that the note steps were a bit *too* clean, if it isn't i'd almost try to get a take with a little less cleanless on the gospel "ohh-yy-ohh" kinda thing.

It's not piercing at all though. Just sounded a tad computer-y/a bit lifeless because of her singing. Maybe just a tad bit of grit?

there is absolutely nothing wrong with her voice... her pronunciation? sure... her pitch? yea a bit... which is why i recommend melodyne... nearly every producer uses some method of pitch correction now adays and it simply makes things sound better. which is what the singer, the band, the engineer and the producer all want.

for all those "thats cheating" pansies.. fuck off... its what EVERYONE does now adays... if you dont like it go back to the 90's (flag pole sitta)... even tho i love 90's

there is absolutely nothing wrong with her voice... her pronunciation? sure... her pitch? yea a bit... which is why i recommend melodyne... nearly every producer uses some method of pitch correction now adays and it simply makes things sound better. which is what the singer, the band, the engineer and the producer all want.

for all those "thats cheating" pansies.. fuck off... its what EVERYONE does now adays... if you dont like it go back to the 90's (flag pole sitta)... even tho i love 90's

Well ....... Since you put it that way ..... I suppose your right. :D

i dont understand why "singers'' write parts that they cant sing... after the 10th try of them not coming close i just go "yea we will try again tomorrow" and then just melodyne it and say "you know... i think its better than we thought" haha

for all those "thats cheating" pansies.. fuck off...
Did anyone actually say that ? Blimey, talk about jumping the gun, cocking off early and pre-empting a strike !
i dont understand why "singers'' write parts that they cant sing... after the 10th try of them not coming close i just go "yea we will try again tomorrow" and then just melodyne it and say "you know... i think its better than we thought" haha
:laughings: :laughings:

Uhhhh.... I wasn't saying that using pitch correction on her was cheating, I was just stating that if he used pitch correction on it then it simply sounded too robotic, ie. a bad use of pitch correction. I have no problem with it as an effect, however sometimes people simply do it wrong.

Just to clarify, i wasn't saying anyone HAD said that it was cheating lol... just saying the people that do say that are annoying.

I suppose that would work :D

I find the nasal sound on certain high notes coupled with certain extended vowel sounds to be a bit problematic - just her voice, I'd say. She needs to get those notes out of her nose and coming from a bit further down to resolve that one.

A little "pitchy" in places and "the" sounds like "da" a bit to me, and some breaths taken in the wrong spots...

I don't hear a *recording* problem. It might not be the best mic for her. There's a bit of a high mid boost that she doesn't need. If you try to EQ it out, you lose the high overtones on the earlier passages. I'd put an Oktava MK319 or an AKG Solid Tube in front of her, and avoid almost any Chinese miic. It's also somewhat annoying when she sings to *the camera*. That's lovely for the video, but is not so good for the recording, as she moves on and off of axis. She needs to understand that her "audience" is a 1" piece of gold-spluttered mylar, and simply *stand still* and *sing to the mic*. Learning to do that is one of the hardest things about making the transition from a performing vocalist to a recording artist. In the beginning, there's a tendency to lose the emotion if you can't move, but you get over it. The *mic* doesn't care about how cool her swaying, hand gestures, and touching her hair are. It only cares about where her mouth is and where it's pointed. I also agree with those about how much more powerful her voice would be if she got it out of her throat and sang from her diaphragm. Lastly, her diction is sloppy, and she can hardly be blamed for that, as the majority of current pop superstars have the same problem. It's worth comparing the diction of Mariah Carey or Beyonce (sloppy diction) to Michael Jackson or Madonna (not sloppy).

So- my advice to her- stop moving, sing from your gut, pronounce the words as if they meant something, and *then* learn to do all of that without losing the feeling. The mic *listens* to you, it doesn't *look* at you. My advice to the OP- The sound you hear is coming from *her*, and the mic brings out parts of it that you don't care for. Either change the mic, or learn to like it. Whether she's doing it on purpose or not, she's doing it. And just so I'm not misunderstood, I think her voice is lovely, and for her age, she's very good. She just needs to learn that the skill sets of a performer and a recording artist are different. That's one reason why so many videos are lip synched, so the artist can move, gesture, dance, and look pretty, without screwing up the recording. In the studio, it's all about the mic.-Richie

Back