iPad Home & Mobile Music Studio set-up

Joost van Noort

Dear all,
I am setting up a very small (mobile) studio so I can make music on my iPad. I am reading a lot about interfaces and other equipment but would like to keep it as simple as possible. So my question is, what do I actually need? I have up til now;

• iPad Pro 2020 11”
  • Akai MPK Mini MK
  • Bluetooth earphones
  • Acoustic guitar
I am using KORG Gadget 2 and Garageband together with my MIDI keyboard. I would also like to start recording acoustic guitar to it. Do I basically just need a USB microphone for this and connect it to my iPad directly or do I need an interface (like the Focusrite 2i2) between it?

Hope somebody can help me! I don’t want to buy anything I don’t need.

Well......one of the most important / required items is an audio interface to take analog audio...e.g. your guitar, vocals and convert that audio into the digital realm...next bluetooth headphones have too much delay for recording multi track... ...IMO go wired...Then there is the apps you need to choose to manipulate the audio once it is in the iPad...there are many to choose from so you need to get googling / youtube and educate yourself on which ones will best suit your capabilities and desires..On the audio interface I am a big fan of the Behringer U phoria stuff as it is super inexpensive, totally adequate for anyone starting out and plays nice with both apple and PC.... Good luck!

Back