Intrument mix

pianomanjoe

When mixing drums and bass, is there an industry rule of thumb that these instruments are panned to the same side? And the same question for say keyboard and guitar and vocals.

Not really heard much of a stereo difference in recordings of similar types of music I'll be recording.

Thanks

Strange question. The norm is:

Kick drum, snare drum, bass, panned centrally.

Main vocals usually panned centre, everything else, panned to taste.

"Not really heard much of a stereo difference in recordings of similar types of music I'll be recording." WTF does this mean?

When mixing drums and bass, is there an industry rule of thumb that these instruments are panned to the same side? And the same question for say keyboard and guitar and vocals.
The only operational rule is called "lack of originality". Most things sound the same because the people behind the desk are trying to clone someone else who has a hit instead of actually trying to create a real hit by serving the music instead.

That said, there are a couple of rules of thumb based upon the laws of acoustics and psychoacoustics:

- Because bass frequencies tend to be less "directional" and tend to prefer larger speaker surface area, you'll usually find bass and kick panned nearer the center. Panning them towards the edges does not really take advantage of the stereo spread because of the less directional nature of bass frequencies, and by having them center you get to use both the left and right woofer to push them, virtually doubling your bass speaker size. It's not unusual to find the bass and the kick each panned just a couple of degrees off center in opposite directions just to give them a slight separation and to get them out of the center pan "pocket" sometimes caused by DAW panning laws.

- In songs where the lyrics are of heavy import, the lead vocals tend to be near center panned. I think this is a much looser rule of thumb, however, and tends to be defaulted to by laziest; there are lots of instances and reasons for setting the lead vocals off-center.

None of this is set in stone, however. I've heard some very good mixes where neither the kick or bass were centered, and a LOT of mixes where the lead vocal was partially panned to balance the mix or fit an artistic vision. The best thing to do is to get an IMAGE in your own head of what you want to create, and how it will sound and be panned, and just totally ignore what everyone else is doing as far as pan rules.

G.

Strange question. The norm is:

Kick drum, snare drum, bass, panned centrally.

Main vocals usually panned centre, everything else, panned to taste.

"Not really heard much of a stereo difference in recordings of similar types of music I'll be recording." WTF does this mean?

I'm using rhythm samples from 2 keyboards and a sound module, so I'm not able to control the individual drums and cymbals.

Also, the music I'm recording is my own compositions that range from Latin to swing to Soft Rock to Jazz Waltzes and Blues. All having some jazz influences, so I've listened to some examples of each style that I found similar to my own in feel.

Hope that helps you understand what I'm trying to accomplish , musically.

Thanks Glen,

I've been playing live for well over 30+ years, so the great bulk of my experience goes from playing on stage to sharing a small corner of a room with any number of other musicians. And my recording experience is minimal,
so I appreciated getting some straight feedback here.

Although, I'm not really surprised to hear that the recording " guidelines" are few and none really written in stone, as we're in a subjective medium.

But I thought I'd ask anyway, as someone might just share some ideas I can plug in.

The only operational rule is called "lack of originality". Most things sound the same because the people behind the desk are trying to clone someone else who has a hit instead of actually trying to create a real hit by serving the music instead.

That said, there are a couple of rules of thumb based upon the laws of acoustics and psychoacoustics:

- Because bass frequencies tend to be less "directional" and tend to prefer larger speaker surface area, you'll usually find bass and kick panned nearer the center. Panning them towards the edges does not really take advantage of the stereo spread because of the less directional nature of bass frequencies, and by having them center you get to use both the left and right woofer to push them, virtually doubling your bass speaker size. It's not unusual to find the bass and the kick each panned just a couple of degrees off center in opposite directions just to give them a slight separation and to get them out of the center pan "pocket" sometimes caused by DAW panning laws.

- In songs where the lyrics are of heavy import, the lead vocals tend to be near center panned. I think this is a much looser rule of thumb, however, and tends to be defaulted to by laziest; there are lots of instances and reasons for setting the lead vocals off-center.

None of this is set in stone, however. I've heard some very good mixes where neither the kick or bass were centered, and a LOT of mixes where the lead vocal was partially panned to balance the mix or fit an artistic vision. The best thing to do is to get an IMAGE in your own head of what you want to create, and how it will sound and be panned, and just totally ignore what everyone else is doing as far as pan rules.

G.

Here we go again :eek:

to sumarize another similar thread

you should always pan them straight down the middle except when you don't want to

or to put it another way

Do what you've always done get what you always got, Do something different get something different. Try both see which one you like better

Back