Introduction and question

CBowling

Hello all,

21 year old college student here who loves music and has been doing his own "simple" recordings for the past couple of years. A couple years back, I bought the Toneport UX2 (the predecessor of the Pod Studio) and I also have the JamVox (though the drivers are glitchy on Windows 7 64bit).

Anyways, to the question:

I've been wanting to improve my studio set up to record GOOD quality recordings. The UX2 and Gearbox by themselves are pretty limited in nature, and though I do have an external boxes (Boss VE-20 for vocals, for example), I feel it's time to move on. My question is, do you guys have any suggestions for what I should be looking at? Price isn't a terrible issue in the long run (I'd have to save for it anyways, on the account I'm a full time student with a 20-30 hour a week job), yet I'd still want to stay somewhere under 1k at the moment.

I was looking at the Tascam 2488 NEO as a possible replacement, as the price of the unit is around what I'm looking at and it has great reviews on sites such as musiciansfriend and sweetwater. However, I am open to suggestions as well.

The type of music I'll be recording will vary from simply me on my acoustic guitar to a whole band set up, with keyboards/synth, drums, guitar, bass, vocals, backing vocals, etc. I have some experience with recording studios and equipment, however, expect me to possibly need clarification on certain things too.

I built my own computer, wanting to give it a good amount of power for recording, while at the same time being able to do the gaming that I sometimes do when I am not at work, school, with friends, or playing music, etc.

Computer Specs:
Windows 7 64bit
8gb of DDR3 RAM
Intel i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93ghz
HD5850 Graphics card

If you guys need any other info, let me know. I hope I addressed any possible questions that you guys may have had regarding the type of recording/capabilities of my recording.

Oh, also. I'm currently using Audacity/Reaper trial (just started it) to record. I have been using Audacity for 5 years now, so I am willing to drop money for a better product as well. I am pretty tech savvy, as I built my own computer and fiddle with most of the programs on there, and I am not afraid to study a manual, so do not hesitate to recommend something that is potentially not "user-friendly." I'm willing to learn anything for my music.

Thanks again guys, and I hope this is in the right forums.

Cheers!

Why are you looking at the Tascam? What you need is a better audio interface. Reaper is kick-ass for recording and the 'free trial' has all the features. Pay the $40 when you can afford it.

Well, I wasn't sure of any really high quality Audio interfaces. Have any suggestions? I'm definitely open to them. And is there a particular reason why the TASCAM isn't what I should be looking at? I admit, I might be overstepping my boundaries and not really know what I need. Hahaha.

Many people like having a separate multitrack device for various reasons. However in your case, you already have a quality computer to do most of the functions the Tascam will do. Just purchasing an interface will get you near the same results at half the cost with more versatility. A Tascam US 1800 will get you more preamps and comes with Cubase LE5 to get you started for $300. Leaving you extra money for decent mic. :D

Search online for recording packages, I know Musicians Friend has a few along with a couple other suppliers. These are usually about $500 dollars and have everything to get you started. You can always upgrade later.

Alright guys, thanks! Glad to know my comp is good enough to use an upgraded interface to do most of the work. I'll take a look at the US 1800 and other things Musiciansfriend has. Thanks again!

Back