Intro to Pro Tools?

LDS

Not necessarily, but...

Way, way, way back when I did some work at a studio when Pro Tools was pretty much brand-spankin' new. We set up four Mac Quadras with a few racks of Digi boards, and a very, very, very early Pro Tools System. I want to say that was back in '92 or '93. Since then I haven't touched it.

Several years later I started working with a friend in his home studio using ADATs and Cool Edit Pro. Subsequent to that I bought a copy of CEP and an interface by MOTU. Fast forward to last year, I purchased Audition 3 and am very happy with it.

Now that I'm starting to work with more people and bands, some of them are talking to me about going into a "real" studio with them to track and mix. Pretty much all of the studios around here (Nashville) use Pro Tools.

My questions (Finally!!!), are:

1) How do I get some hands-on with Pro Tools here at home without having to spend a shitload of money?

2) Is there an inexpensive interface that comes with PT LE?

3) Is experience gained by working with LE transferable to HD?

4) Is Pro Tools really that much different from Audition, or are the main differences just how things are organized on menus?

I know there are hours and hours of tutorials out there on YouTube and the like, but IMHO, those are no substitute for real hands-on experience.

If anyone has hands on experience with both Pro Tools and Adobe Audition and could spare the time to give a compare/contrast, it would be highly appreciated.

1) How do I get some hands-on with Pro Tools here at home without having to spend a shitload of money?

2) Is there an inexpensive interface that comes with PT LE?

3) Is experience gained by working with LE transferable to HD?

4) Is Pro Tools really that much different from Audition, or are the main differences just how things are organized on menus?
I actually used Audition for a short time, and did my band's album on it (I was pretty n00bish at the time, though).
I now use Pro Tools 8 LE at home.

1) If spending very little is a priority and you just want to get familiar with the software, here is PT8 LE w/ Mbox2 Micro on eBay for $158.
If you want to be able to record (I think the Micro only has a headphone jack) -- here is PT8 LE with an Mbox 2 Mini for $259.
Oh, also here is a PT8 LE w/ Mbox2 for $359.

I used to have an Mbox 2, but now use a 002 control surface.
I'm not completely familiar with all the differences in these interfaces so you may need to do some research.

Better deals can be had -- just keep an eye out on eBay (here's a good advanced search) and craigslist (Google: Pro Tools 8 LE site:craigslist.org)

2) I guess I already answered this one. The Mbox 2 Micro is the cheapest, I'd say (of the current generation), then Mbox 2 Mini, then Mbox 2.

3) The differences between LE and HD are not THAT great... I'd say if you know LE, you know 95% of HD. I haven't worked with HD very much, but from what I've gathered, this is true.

4) Of course, menus and layout and all that is a bit different, but I don't think it's drastically different. I haven't used Audition for 2 years and I can't quite remember how it was set up exactly, though.

When I first started working with PT, like any other DAW, it took me a bit to get used to. But now I'm so fluent in it I'm scared to go to something else.

You might as well make the switch. Don't you know, Pro Tools sounds better than all those other DAWs? :laughings:

I hope I've helped in some way..

You might as well make the switch. Don't you know, Pro Tools sounds better than all those other DAWs? :laughings:
Yeah, I hear that the ones are oneier and the zeros are zeroier! :laughings:

Eventually I'm going to want to make a hardware change, and I'd hate to spend the money on Digi-compliant stuff and find that it's a downgrade all the way around.

I hope I've helped in some way..
Thanks!!! I appreciate it.

Eventually I'm going to want to make a hardware change, and I'd hate to spend the money on Digi-compliant stuff and find that it's a downgrade all the way around.

I was in a similar situation....I had clients...especially Rappers, always talking about finding someone in the area who was using protools....I didnt want to lose the buisness so I looked around and found www.multplatinumprotools.com to help me learn the software, and purchased an M-audio Lightbridge. the lightbridge will allow you to continue using Adobe Audition 3 and move Protools as you learn the software. The lightbridge is nothing more than a firewire ADAT interface so you can lightpipe in any set of converters that have ADAT outs... It still works with Audition but also works with Protools M-powered which is exactly the same as Protools LE only it requires M-audio hardware rather than Digi hardware...the lightbridge provides the ability to use M-powered Protools, but does not restrict the converters...the cool thing is that the Lightbridge will still work with other softwares as well....

1),2) could be....
3) yes they are very similar le is just limited in track count mostly
4) It is very diff from audition, more similar to cubase, but still very diff. There are many more options so its harder to find things. But all programs are very similar in general so you shouldnt have that much trouble getting the basics down. But you will be limited till you know pt backwards and forwards.

Back