Intregrated Hardware/Software vs. Other

pianoman1976

Hello friends,

Maybe "integrated" is not the proper term. What do you call, for example a Digi 003 setup which has software (Pro Tools LE) designed specifically for the hardware?

I had almost decided on a Digi 003 (For use with a iMac C2D) until I did a bit more research. I like the simplicity of the 003. I like the idea that the software is designed around the hardware - this seems to be a seamless trouble-free approach.

I am now leaning more towards an RME Fireface 800, simply because the audio specs seem much better. What about software for this thing? I liked the idea of Pro Tools LE, because I'm a newbie. Can I use PT LE with this interface? I'm in no way capable of tackling Logic. I wish there was an "LE" version of logic for the new guy. I'm fishing for ideas and info about this.

Most importantly, I'd like to know if I'm looking at more complexity by not going with an integrated solution? Might there be set-up, software/hardware and/or compatibility complications that I would avoid by going with the Digi 003?

Thanks,

Ryan

If you want to use ProTools, you have to use their approved hardware.
It's partially a copy-protection thing, partially they have approval on the hardware so they know it in and out.
But then you are locked into what THEY say you can run (and pay them - regualarly - for upgrades to specific equipment).

All the other sequencing software hooks into your operating system through the ASIO or WDM drivers.
The standard interfaces then hook into those same ASIO or WDM drivers so you don't have to worry about 'compatibility'.

The only reasons to go with ProTools is if you REALLY want it or you have to trade files with other musicians that use it or professional studios. Otherwise any interface and sequencer will work just fine.

(Reaper is a great start...)

A good interface guide and suggestions:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

You don't have to pay Digi for upgrades to specific equipment. When you buy the gear, you get the software and the hardware together as one bundle. No further payments are required in order to use what you have just bought.

If you are on a Mac, Reaper is not an option.

I believe there is a program called Logic Express. Go to Apple's web site and check it out, it might be enough for you.

I personally use ProTools with a Digi 002 and like it very much. Nicely designed software that is super stable and easy to use, yet with a lot of power under the hood. Great recording and audio editing software.

But I also use Digital Performer and MOTU audio interfaces. DP has much better midi features than PT, making it great for me with my composing. So I use PT with Digi hardware and DP with MOTU hardware. Two separate DAW's!

Works out great for me though, kind of the best of both worlds.

Back