Interfaces...

Neotrix

Allright so I did some research about interfaces. Since I'm going to use a laptop and wont be needing to use more than 2 tracks at the same time, I’m gonna go with a USB connection (either way, I don’t have a Fire wire on my comp)

Anyway I'm still looking for an Audio/MIDI interface. I narrowed the following:

* Tascam Us-122
* M-Audio Audiophile
* Behringer BCA2000
* Lexicon Omega Studio
* Edirol UA25

I haven’t read its reviews yet for most of them, but so far I’m convinced that that alot people who own Tascam Us-122 aren’t satisfied what they got, but then again there are some mix-up stories. So maybe Tascam will be my last choice

As far for the Behringer, many people believe that they make unreliable products, but maybe I could be one of the lucky ones.

So that leaves up to the Edirol ($240), M-Audio ($200), and Lexicon ($300).

Im thinking to get the Lexicon because it's everything what I need for my recording project. Plus, at GC they are having a $50 off rebate, but that’s not always guaranteed $50 off...

So out of the list I have made, which interface would you rather pick?

Thx in adv

I'd avoid the Behringer.

I haven't used the Omega, but Lexicon makes really good stuff so that is probably what I would go with. MAudio makes good stuff too, but the Omega would give you that Pantheon reverb which is worth more than the entire system IMO. You may want to find somebody who has actually used it to chime in here though.

My $0.02

I use the Lexicon Omega. Overall, I'm happy with it. However, I never use all 4 simultaneous inputs - um - simultaenously :)

I've seen reviews that say it can't handle recording four simultaneous tracks, mainly because its on the old USB 1 standard (or 1.1, whatever it is - its not USB 2.0 in any case). This has never been a problem for me.

Are you counting on it coming with Cubase, like all the marketing info says? You may get a surprise - I bought mine from a local brick and mortar store about 8 months ago, and it came with a stripped down version of Cakewalk - it was called Pro Tracks Plus, I think, but it had a Very, VERY striking resemlance to Home Studio 2004 - but not quite as good. If you already have software, this won't matter to you at all.

I'm also having an occasional glitch where a mic will just stop working - I don't know if its actually the mic, the cable, the Bger compressor (hmmm) or the Omega's preams. Even if it is the Omega, it wakes up again after putting a few seconds of sound through the mic.

So, that's my rambing opinion of the Omega - frankly, I often think I bought more than I needed, but that's certainly not the worst situation to be in.

Are you counting on it coming with Cubase, like all the marketing info says? You may get a surprise - I bought mine from a local brick and mortar store about 8 months ago, and it came with a stripped down version of Cakewalk - it was called Pro Tracks Plus, I think, but it had a Very, VERY striking resemlance to Home Studio 2004 - but not quite as good. If you already have software, this won't matter to you at all.

Im looking for a program that has a strong point on MIDI. Would Cakewalk would be a good choice for it?

So far, Im going with Lexicon. Any other objections?

Cakewalk started out as a MIDI program, and it seems more than capable to me - I mostly work in electronic genres, so I'm very MIDI-centric, and it makes me happy. That said, the only competition I've tried was an older version of Steinberg, and it didn't seem deficient in any way. Pro Tools has a bad rep regarding MIDI, but its probably grown out of whatever problems it has by now.

Back