Interfaces: the basics?

Before i start asking specific questions I figure I should make sure I know the basics. When recording through a multi-input interface to software, what should the outcome be? Do all of your separate inputs show up individually on the software or are they a single track? What would the basic set up be to achieve individual tracks from each input? Thanks.

All the i/o should show up individually.

To achieve this you would need a multi-input interface and compatible software. I can't be more specific without giving actual examples (of which there are so many it would be fairly pointless)! Basically, most interfaces will do this apart from some really cheap USB mixers which only send the stereo mix to the computer.

Take a look through some of these various example 'rigs'...
http://www.tweakheadz.com/rigs.htm (note: there are 6 pages of examples!)

e.g. on my system I can map any of the 16 inputs its own track for recording, and conversely I can route audio to any of the 16 outputs.

There wouldn't be much point in a multi-channel interface if you could only record one track at a time :)

Thanks for the great response. Okay so if I hook up my cousin's Tascam US-1641 to logic pro via usb, I should be able to "map" out the individual inputs to seperate tracks on the Logic software? I referenced musician's friend and the tascam should be compatible with logic so does that mean it can distinguishthe different inputs on the software?

Yup :) Well, 'map' probably isn't the best of words. Basically on each track there should be a little section where you can set the input. Then you arm all the tracks you want to record and hit the record button!

Mattr, your answer to JohnBJohn helped me as well. Thanks. Are you mixing tracks externally on a mixer or are you using your computers mixer ?

MBM....

I mix within Sonar, what people call 'in the box' (ITB).

You can buy control surfaces which allow you to control the software mixer in a hands-on way. I have a Presonus Faderport, which only has 1 fader but its very helpful for writing automation envelopes :).

Some people prefer to mix out-the-box on an analog mixer, usually to get some of 'that analog sound'. When doing this you would route each track to its own output and run these into the mixer's inputs. If you had too many tracks for outputs (or inputs on your mixer) you could submix some tracks into buses ITB, then run these out to the mixer. You can then record the final mix from the main outs of the mixer.

Sorry I missed your post earlier, I was trying to post some questions in this forum about out of the box mixing but I was unable to. Care to help me with getting setup externally?

Thanks, MBM....

Back