Interface that rocks for $500?

twangbuck

Looking for a new interface with a Win 7 PC. My DAW is cubase le5. I record mostly rock with some occasional acoustic/folk stuff. I do demos with direct guitars and drum machine, then replace the tracks with new ones recorded with mic'd amps and drum tracks from my drummer buddy who records his drums in his studio. Plus I do vocals with an AKG large diaphragm condenser and occasionally add in keyboard tracks. For folky/country stuff, I"ll occasionally record accordion, hammered dulcimer and violin thanks to several very talented friends (and my wife!).
So basically it has to rock. And it has to have midi in/out for my drum machine, plus at least two input channels (XLR and 1/4 inch) and two pairs of outputs as well. Plus decent pre-amps. I'll get a real preamp at some point down the road, but I still want my stuff to sound good in the meantime.
Plus it has to work. Like, I install the driver, the interface, and it works. Period.
My budget is $500.
I'm considering the roland octacapture, because it has a decent number of ins and outs, midi, and, I've read in numerous reviews, it just works. Plus I've been told it plays nice with loud guitars and amps.
Any other suggestions?

Back