Interface suggestions...

tin34543

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a new interface for my PC setup. I need a minimum of 4 outputs (as in 2 stereo pairs) and 2 inputs (for 2 mics/guitars).
Would be interested in your suggestions?

Also I see interfaces are USB. Is USB fast enough for multi channel audio? Would it have to be USB 3 on the PC? (I used to have a fireware audio device so this is new to me).

Many thanks

USB 2.0 can easily do 16 tracks of 24/48 audio.

I suspect most brands will increase inputs before they increase outputs as you go up the product line, so you might be looking at a 4-input/4-output interface to meet your requirements. There's nothing wrong with having extra inputs. I have a first generation Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, which has two combo XLR/TRS inputs and two straight-in line inputs, plus four line outputs. It's completely sufficient for what I'm doing.

I agree. USB is not the bottleneck. Assuming you want to record guitar/voice in stereo (otherwise there is no need for 4 output channels) you would need 4 mono input channels ( = 2 stereo channels).
Just check what is in store. Behringer interfaces are usually the cheapest but work well.
Other common brands besides Focusrite (mentioned above) would be Tascam, Presonus, ...
Take a look here:

I think I might have mentioned it in these pages before (!) but I am VERY enamored of the MOTU M4.

It has the 4 outputs requested on TRS jacks, each duplicated on RCA. Two front mic/line/high Z inputs and two balanced line inputs on the rear. The performance in terms of noise, distortion and latency is close to the best interfaces around regardless of price. The unit is also THE most logical and easy to use AI I have ever owned and I have had at least 7 in the last ten years.

A close second to the M4 I would put the Native Instruments KA6. Same I/O compliment but with the addition of S/PDIF.

If money is REALLY a problem then the Behringer UMC404HD is very serviceable.

Dave.

Back