Interface Recommendations, anyone?

Blackthoven

Hey guys,

I'm about to order some recording equipment online, and I'm also going to buy an interface from a local store. I was looking at two in particular that are in my price range, and I was hoping someone could help me make a decision.

I've heard good things about the "Presonus AudioBox USB 2x2", and I was intent on getting that, but then I came across the "Yamaha AUDIOGRAM 6" and it really put me on the fence.

I have no idea what to expect in terms of audio quality from either interface, and I haven't even heard of the Yamaha interface until today. One reason why I would want the Yamaha is because it has its own gain, and controls for each mic/instrument input, which is a feature I'd really like to have, whereas the Presonus interface does not. I'm pretty sure you need to get an additional device for that, but I could be wrong.

Although the Audiogram doesn't come with a software like Presonus, I'm not really too concerned about it, since I've already got a few really programs.

If you guys have any other recommendations for an interface between $100-200, I'm all ears!

P.S. I'm getting MXL 990 and 991 microphones for it, and intend on simultaneously recording vocals + one instrument at most.

Thanks a ton!

Ryan :guitar:

I can't speak for the Yamaha but the Presonus audiobox was my first interface that I owned. The built in preamps aren't the greatest but that is to be expected within that price range. It will definitely get the job done. I've always had good luck with presonus products too so I would recommend it!

Vocals and 'what' instrument? Make sure you take the time to educate yourself with what the possibilities are, when recording an instrument. If your other instrument is a guitar, you may want more than one input channel to record it. Think for the future, as well as the now.

Just sayin....

:)

Vocals and 'what' instrument? Make sure you take the time to educate yourself with what the possibilities are, when recording an instrument. If your other instrument is a guitar, you may want more than one input channel to record it. Think for the future, as well as the now.

Just sayin....

:)

Piano, Guitar, Bass... it really depends. I don't really understand what you mean by "more than one input channel", I should have more than one channel for my guitar alone, or did you mean I should have one specifically for guitar and one specifically for vocals while recording? If you meant the latter, both the AudioBox and AudioGram have two separate mic/instrument channels.

Thank you for your input, Nico Zottos!

Piano, Guitar, Bass... it really depends. I don't really understand what you mean by "more than one input channel", I should have more than one channel for my guitar alone, or did you mean I should have one specifically for guitar and one specifically for vocals while recording? If you meant the latter, both the AudioBox and AudioGram have two separate mic/instrument channels.

Thank you for your input, Nico Zottos!

I meant that you may wish to use more than one mic on any given source channel. Say you want to mic a piano in stereo, while singing at the same time. Two mics on the piano, to have a stereo recording, would screw you if you purchased a two channel interface, and you wanted to sing live with it. Acoustic guitars typically sound better with two mics. That leaves you with no input channels for vocals. Which, depending on what you are recording, may be best served with more than one mic just for the vocals.

What I am saying is, do not limit yourself to input channels, before you are sure what it is you will need. Now, or in the future. Think ahead. :)

I see. Well, if worst comes to worst I don't see an issue with recording my instruments first, and then recording vocals on top of that afterwards. I'm a student so I have a pretty inflexible budget, thus unfortunately, I don't really have much options. I could get an interface with more inputs but that would surely be at the expense of the quality.

At the current moment I'm using my laptop's mic, so I'm pretty sure anything would be better. Thank you though, I'll definitely consider that.

At your current use of your lappy's mic, and it's internal soundcard, any external USB or Firewire interface will be way better.

It has been quite some time since I have heard any complaints of any interface in your budget, as being better or worse, as far as audio quality. It may seem silly, but just pick one that has phantom power for a condenser mic, and see where it takes you. If you decide you need better, then you will have a base knowledge to pull from.

Basic clean preamps are typical these days at the startup point. Finding better at this price point is just cutting hairs. It takes a whole lot more expense to see a big difference in quality. And even then, I'm not so sure there is a cost/reason/usefulness of spending the money. It all comes down to the source and performance. The room it is recorded in is a a close second. Then the gear it is recorded with. The interface is just the first step to getting good quality to your computer.

Interesting... Thank you, Jimmy; that was very helpful. I'm probably going to go for the Yamaha, then, mostly for the reasons I listed above (e.g. the gain and other controls for each individual input). Plus I have a lot of Yamaha equipment already, and I've been very satisfied with their stuff! It just seems like the right choice.

Back