interface quarrel

Stark444

ive been struggling between going with the tascam us-1641 and the presonus firestudio. firestudio is $100 more, but it uses firewire, which people have said is faster than usb since usb will share bandwidth with everything else on your puter. it also has the ability to daisy chain. so, i googled some reviews, and its really half and half. people trash talk the other and attest to theirs. their was only one person i found that had both interfaces. he said he liked the firestudio better.

do you guys have any thoughts on this? sorry if this has been brought up, but i didnt find it in the search area. this is also short notice because i go to Guitar Center to make my purchase at around 1 today. im also buying the blue bluebird large condenser mic as well...pretty excited.

ive been struggling between going with the tascam us-1641 and the presonus firestudio. firestudio is $100 more, but it uses firewire, which people have said is faster than usb since usb will share bandwidth with everything else on your puter. it also has the ability to daisy chain. so, i googled some reviews, and its really half and half. people trash talk the other and attest to theirs. their was only one person i found that had both interfaces. he said he liked the firestudio better.

do you guys have any thoughts on this? sorry if this has been brought up, but i didnt find it in the search area. this is also short notice because i go to Guitar Center to make my purchase at around 1 today. im also buying the blue bluebird large condenser mic as well...pretty excited.

I don't know what OS you're running, but I've heard the Tascam drivers are a real problem in Vista.
As for the USB vs Firewire....USB 2.0 is actually a little quicker, but it does task the CPU with bussing whereas Firewire interfaces handle this without putting the load back on the CPU.
All said and done, and I'm a fan of Tascam, I'd go Presonus.

*edit*
Just looked at the Presonus specs...it seems to be a much more capable interface with much higher throughput...26x26, where as the Tascam is limited to 16x4. No brainer here. Presonus.

Id go with the Tascam...never had a presonus anything that didnt add noise to the signal...it just cheaply made...besides while using your stuff you shouldnt have anything else going at the same time.

Id check at the guitar center for a used mic deal...the blue you mentioned isnt a very good mic...they actually sell some good stuff if you get it used.

I always wounder in this Firewire VS USB 2.0 battles. Look guys, how many USB devices you normally have connected to your recording PC? Interface, MIDI keyboard, mouse and keyboard maybe? Let's calculate. The USB 2.0 speed is 480 Mbit/s. Assume you record 8 tracks simultaneously with 24bit/96kHz sampling. This will make 8 x 24 x 96 000/1 000 000 = 18,5 Mbit/s roughly so it is 3.8% of USB 2.0 bus capacity. Where is the problem? The only problem I see will happen when you will record and copy smth. to external USB 2.0 hardrive simultaneously. But who will do that?

Now to the question. I vote for Tascam if your OS is not Vista. Especially with the price ZZounds have now for it.

Tascam US1641 USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI Interface

Cheerz!!

my OS can be whatever works with it. I have just about every MS OS since 95. Im currently running XP Pro SP3, but i was thinking of upgrading to windows 7. I received 7 for free from school, but havent tried it yet because im concerned about driver issues. ive been told that they handle drivers quite well tho, so i might give it a shot.

ive heard that both interfaces have given people with vista problems.

@darrin - ive read and been told that the preamps are phenomenal on the presonus so it cant be too cheap, can it?

Vista has problems with around 80% of 3rd party drivers and softwares.

Vista is only good for those who does not expect from a PC more than it would look nice, typing and playing Solitare.:D

Back