Interface Options

ambi

I know of many computer audio interface options besides the Delta 1010. But for approximatly the same price...

If i'm planning on getting a Delta 1010, is there something else which would be a similiar price that would be worth considering?

I think the Echo Layla is about 200 Canadian more?

There is RME which i believe is a lot more,

C port which i think is less (and maybe less quality),

the Aardvark Q10 which is a lot more and i don't require the preamps,

Digi 001, i'm not using protools...

I think that's most of the options i can think of... So delta 1010? The Layla seems to be the only close competition in this price range, and the only addition feature i can see is that it has a headphone output with knob(which would be really nice), but it has no monitoring speaker output with knob, which would be most important. Do i want to pay 300 for a headphone output? Not really... I could just use a Y slitter to merge two of the outputs from the Delta and hook some headphones in i think...

You get what you pay for basically.
The RME series are expensive because they are top quality. The delta series are widely used and have proven to be dependable. Anything less may be a sacrifice. Those are the two that I would consider at the top of the list if I were looking.
And just to mention, Digi 001 is compatible to some 3rd party software other than pro-tools.

The Layla's sound quality might be a bit better than a 1010 but you probably wouldnt notice much difference. The main extra feature is the ADAT i/o which allows you to add an additional 8 inputs and outputs later. If you dont need the adat expandability then a 1010 is a good choice.

ADAT is an optical digital format (similar to SPDIF) that allows 8 channels of data transmission (unlike the 2 channels that spdif is limited to).

Ah. Any particularly useful pieces of gear that use this, which i could possibly encounter during my home recording adventures?

Off the top of my head I would say stuff like digital mixers, some 8 channel mic pres (eg Presonus Digimax LT), 8 channel convertors (eg from Lucid). That would give you 16 channels of input, though I am not sure why you would need that many in a home recording situation, though I can see how a digital mixer / control interface would be useful.

Back