Interface advice

Richard Monroe

I have a frirnd who needs to put together a basic rig, probably no more than 2 simultaneous channels, needs USB output, halfway decent pres, and phantom power on the cheap. She intends to mix and process in Audacity, and a smart computer is not a problem. I can recommend mics for her, but I'm pretty weak on low end interfaces. I doubt she is looking to spend big bucks, probable in the $200 range. What cheap boxes are out there? She'll be doing mostly voiceovers, with some vocals, and occasional acoustic guitar or hand percussion. Thanks in advance for any help.-Richie

Lexicon makes some good low end interfaces. They have three different ones, the alpha, the omega and the lambda. Framingham, like Bose?

You can get a usb mixer for cheap. With USB you cant record more than 2 channels, you need firewire to do more. A usb mixer acts as a windows sound card, so you dont have to have your pc soundcard in the chain. Plus you can leave all your crap plugged into it, you wont be switching cables around to switch from vox to guitar to keys, etc..

Alesis multimix 8x2 mixer $149:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/?sku=630166

I have an older version of this Yamaha 8x2 mixer for $199:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/?sku=637172

The Yamaha costs $50 more, but has inserts, rca inputs (VERY handy), and prolly better pres than the alesis.

With USB you cant record more than 2 channels, you need firewire to do more.

I don't know why people keep repeating this on this forum. It's simply not true. Maybe back in the days of USB 1.0, but there are several USB interfaces now days that have more than 2 channels.

Anyhow, back to the OP's question. I have a lexicon lambda, and I'd say stay away from Lexicon interfaces. Their interfaces are no good IMO (faulty phantom power circuits, poor driver support). For $200 i second the EMU 0404, or the Presonus AudioBox.

I don't know why people keep repeating this on this forum. It's simply not true. Maybe back in the days of USB 1.0, but there are several USB interfaces now days that have more than 2 channels.

Anyhow, back to the OP's question. I have a lexicon lambda, and I'd say stay away from Lexicon interfaces. Their interfaces are no good IMO (faulty phantom power circuits, poor driver support). For $200 i second the EMU 0404, or the Presonus AudioBox.

That could be, theoretically, usb has enough bandwidth for more channels, but I've never seen a usb interface or mixer than had more than 2 channels on the usb.. Do you have an example? I've seen 4 bus mixers with USB, but only the 2 channel main mix goes to it, not the aux's or groups or whatever.

Yo Suprstar! Two channels is all we need. Fortunately, we're not going to plug "all my stuff" into it. One mic. Voiceovers. OK, let's try another tack. Thank you Santiu. Yo disgruntled...? You've never used it, but your very happy with it...OK. I'm looking at M-Audio Fast Track (Pro...Yeah, right), and the Lexicon Alpha and Lamda. So- Does anybody have an opinion- Does a Fast Track sound like an Audio Buddy, or a DMP-3? Thanks for the comments on Lexicon Hardware. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for, on any of these units. Who has actually used any of them, and how do they sound? The problem is, most of the guys here record music, so they (like me) aren't as familiar with 2 channel units. The drummer hates them. We would go get a big mucking mixing console, or a bunch of pres, or both. This is where some of the people with simpler rigs can help. The hard part is finding one with experience and good ears. They are out there, though. In this case, I have a poet who is more likely to record books for the blind than a rock opera. Thanks y'all- keep it coming. -Richie

Does she have a PC or a Mac? Since you are talking USB I'm assuming PC? If she has or can get a Mac, a Duet would be the way to go. It's more money, but I recently bought one for my secretary for VO work and it's a really great bit of kit. I think she 's just using Garage Band on it at the moment, but man is that a slick little interface and the pres are just great. I bought it used (yes they are out there) for $415, all shipping and paypal fees included. Almost made me want to buy a Mac Book just so I can use one.

Yo Pohaku. Nice advice, but 1.- it's a PC, not a MAC, and 2.- that price point comes under the heading of "ain't gonna happen".-Richie

Back