Interesting solos without speed

WhiteStrat...if we had an award for most avatars, you'd win hands down.

I'm still partial to Mr. Clean with the beard, though. :-)

WhiteStrat...if we had an award for most avatars, you'd win hands down.

I'm still partial to Mr. Clean with the beard, though. :-)

My avatar was the topic of a recent discussion in which I disclosed that I was rotating among pictures of other shaved bald folks--since I am too. (Here's me: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=2954768&postcount=13)
And before you know it, everyone started posting pics of beautiful baldness--from coneheads to Brittney Spears in her shaved phase. Needless to say, I saved them all. So don't worry--there's more coming!

Hi all

Lately I haven't been playing much, and now I have to find out that I'm even less fluid than I used to be... and slower, somehow. Not much, but I am.

On the other hand I've always wanted to be able to play solos that are interesting despite the lack of lightning fast licks anyway... but I can't. Everything I play sounds extremely boring to me, predictable and too structured.

Do you have any ideas / tips on how to get away from the same old same and how to prevent myself from always trying to play at the limits of my technical abilities?

Your help is appreciated.

Cheers.

Six.

if ya can't hum it, don't play it....

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to WhiteStrat again."

Can't wait to see bald britney representing you...high comedy!

OK, this shredding thing has gone far enough. On the acoustic thing there was a time when this was considered pretty neat. What you have is a jazzer that thinks he's a rock god, a rocker who wants to be a cool jazz dude and a guy who knows his way round the frets harmonically, technically and emotionally whatever speed he decides to play at and all done on acoustics. If you cant work out which is which here's the good guy.

Sorry couldn't resist.;)

i've never seen paco live... but mclaughlin and demeola twice each... and they dont disappoint... the first link was cool but the second was paco wanking...

..... the first link was cool but the second was paco wanking...

:rolleyes:

Here are some more of your favs "wanking"

Clapton (wait til about 1.30 when the sax comes in, pure genius).

Eddie always has something musical to say.

Then there is studying at the feet of the master.

I know these might have been posted here before but as far as shredding is concerned they are all worthy of study. :D

Fucking hell dude :D:D:D

Love those first time I'd seen them but they always make me LOL. EVH's one is trully a 'masterpiece' , I mean you need some talent to fuck the solo up so bad!

Speaking of Steve Vai, he was amazing in that G3 performance (the real one). All of it, except the annoying Malmsteen going super-ego on everyone during Voodoo Child.

My avatar was the topic of a recent discussion in which I disclosed that I was rotating among pictures of other shaved bald folks--since I am too. (Here's me: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=2954768&postcount=13)
And before you know it, everyone started posting pics of beautiful baldness--from coneheads to Brittney Spears in her shaved phase. Needless to say, I saved them all. So don't worry--there's more coming!

Hey White, add my Avatar to your collection....bald heads rule! (sorry for the off-topic!)

Joe

One other thing ... find a shreder hand him or her and acoustical guitar ... then ask them to "shred". You will then know what they really can play.

You know, I gotta disagree. Being an excellent acoustic guitarist and being an excellent electric guitarist are two VERY different skillsets. Some players are proficcient at both, but being proficcient at one doesn't automatically make you proficcient at the other.

Consider the obverse - take a world class classical player, and hand him John Petrucci's rig with his lead tone dialed up. How good do you expect him to sound? two- or three-point fingerpicked counterpoint lines simply don't work through those sort of gain structures, and being an expert fingerpicker doesn't make you an alternate picking star, exactly. Furthermore, muting technique is a LOT less important when you're playing an intimate nylon string than when you're playing a high gain preamp cranked way up to arena volume, where even the slightest ringing of an adjacent string is going to audibly turn the phrase into mud by unpredictably beating against whatever he's trying to play. And we're not even talking about the fact here that the guitar would probably just be blowing up into feedback anyway, since that's another performance problem that most classical guys don't have. And this gets even worse if you happen to hand him one of Petrucci's seven strings.

I mean, does the classical guy "suck" because he doesn't have the technical aptitude to handle the performance problems that come with a solid body guitar and a high gain amplifier at concert volume, and because he doesn't know how to alternate pick or sweep pick? I'd say hardly. So, how exactly does a "shred" player "suck" simply becase he's not used to the comparatively uncompressed dynamics and heavier strings of a steel string acoustic?

It's a different vocabulary, with different challanges and different advantages. Some people are proficcient in both, but they're the exception, not the norm.

You know, I gotta disagree. Being an excellent acoustic guitarist and being an excellent electric guitarist are two VERY different skillsets. Some players are proficcient at both, but being proficcient at one doesn't automatically make you proficcient at the other.

Consider the obverse - take a world class classical player, and hand him John Petrucci's rig with his lead tone dialed up. How good do you expect him to sound? two- or three-point fingerpicked counterpoint lines simply don't work through those sort of gain structures, and being an expert fingerpicker doesn't make you an alternate picking star, exactly. Furthermore, muting technique is a LOT less important when you're playing an intimate nylon string than when you're playing a high gain preamp cranked way up to arena volume, where even the slightest ringing of an adjacent string is going to audibly turn the phrase into mud by unpredictably beating against whatever he's trying to play. And we're not even talking about the fact here that the guitar would probably just be blowing up into feedback anyway, since that's another performance problem that most classical guys don't have. And this gets even worse if you happen to hand him one of Petrucci's seven strings.

I mean, does the classical guy "suck" because he doesn't have the technical aptitude to handle the performance problems that come with a solid body guitar and a high gain amplifier at concert volume, and because he doesn't know how to alternate pick or sweep pick? I'd say hardly. So, how exactly does a "shred" player "suck" simply becase he's not used to the comparatively uncompressed dynamics and heavier strings of a steel string acoustic?

It's a different vocabulary, with different challanges and different advantages. Some people are proficcient in both, but they're the exception, not the norm.

Well said.

And you touched upon another point that I asked about in another post that hardly got any replies. Without proper muting technique, high gain solos turn to mush right? But check out Zakk Wylde. When he plays he's usually not muting, yet he's a fairly clean player. What's up with that?

You have a valid point of view. My point of view on all of this is coming from a completely different angle. I used to hang out with and study with people that were musicans first. It just so happened that they played their music on guitar as opposed to... say a piano. I still maintain that most of these shreders are just playing canned licks and when that fails they revert to noise.

As an exmple of where I am coming from get on YouTube and find some clips with Lenny Breau or Tal Farlow. I would post the links but I am supposed to be working right now.

You know, I gotta disagree. Being an excellent acoustic guitarist and being an excellent electric guitarist are two VERY different skillsets.

very true... and it's not only electric/acoustic. how many players kick ass in different genres?

so with most players you would have to say "xy is a great electric blues
guitar player".

for example i'm a so-so electric rock and blues guitar player... and it makes me almost cry to hear paco or some noname bluegrass-dingeldingel-diddl-diddl-doo players. :D
(It's hard to realize that there are so many different ways of playing and I'm not even proficient in one... :p)

It just so happened that they played their music on guitar as opposed to... say a piano. I still maintain that most of these shreders are just playing canned licks and when that fails they revert to noise.

I think I know what you mean and I totally agree with one reservation: this doesn't include Eddie, Steve, Satch and all the big guys (ok, Yngwie probably yes) but the vast majority of the youtube-wankers who do not even get anything like a decent tone from their equipment.

The "famous" shredders play guitar as a profession, so I'm pretty damn sure they can pull of a lot more than what they show us on stage and are famous and loved for.

very true... and it's not only electric/acoustic. how many players kick ass in different genres?

The "famous" shredders play guitar as a profession, so I'm pretty damn sure they can pull of a lot more than what they show us on stage and are famous and loved for.

A lot of them can play more than they show ... but you would be surprised at how many of them are just jerking chains. I guess I'm just an old fart 'cause I really don't get some of the hype. The fact is that their are a lot of monster guitar players out there. The question is; by what yardstick you use to measure them? My age is showing.

A lot of them can play more than they show ... but you would be surprised at how many of them are just jerking chains. I guess I'm just an old fart 'cause I really don't get some of the hype. The fact is that their are a lot of monster guitar players out there. The question is; by what yardstick you use to measure them? My age is showing.

Haha, no worries man, I wouldn't say your age is showing - the fact you're at least willing to hear out the other side of the story is testament to that, I think. :)

I'll I guess argue that it's probably worth mentioning that it's really important to differentiate between the so-called "big name" "shredders" (FWIW, I've always hated that term because it sort of lends itself to "speed vs. emotion" arguments, whereas the truly great guys who often get lumped under that angle are capable of both) and the YouTube bedroom wankers who have been influenced by them.

I'm a big Satriani fan, and I'll admit initially a goood chunk of that was the technique. However, even from day one what really hooked me was the combination of his fearsome technique and his undeniable composition skills. I'd picked up a guitar compilation with "Surfing with the Alien" on it, and thought it was pretty cool and a technical showcase, but it didn't really interest me enough to buy anything else. However, when I first heard a live-in-the-studio performance of his "Always With Me, Always With You" done for some Colorado (I think) radio station... I honestly don't think I breathed for the three minutes it took to listen to the song. It's a gorgeous set of chord changes (especially on this live version - on the studio they're clean toned, but live he used his lead settings with the volume rolled back a touch and palm muted, so there was just big massive crunchy sort of thing that seemed to be tip-toeing around the bass that just sounded unreal), and then over that he drapes one of those perfect melodies like Greensleeves or Fur Elise or something where you just can't picture a single note changing.

And when I finally saw him live, it wasn't his playing that blew my mind - it was, of all things, his vibrato. Go figure. :p

Anyway, I just mention Satriani as an example - at his best, he's a very "total package" player. Listen to something like "Friends" off The Extremist - great tone, the sort of melody you hum for days afterwards, great vibrato, and a great mix of soulful bending and blistering legato in the solo.

98% of the guys you see "shredding" in YouTube vids can't capture that - they see the incredible technique and get turned on by that, and miss the deep knowledge of jazz and classicall harmony, the inventive compositions, the phrasing, and the tone.

Sadly, they give technique a bad rap by, ironically, putting it above everything else. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Here are some more of your favs "wanking"

Clapton (wait til about 1.30 when the sax comes in, pure genius).

Eddie always has something musical to say.

Then there is studying at the feet of the master.

I know these might have been posted here before but as far as shredding is concerned they are all worthy of study. :D

hilarious mutt... thnx... though eddie is not a fav of mine personally... BTW that's steve gadd and david sanborn with clapton.... and couldnt see him real well but looked like might be jan hammer with eddie... and the only one i've ever heard on frettless 6 string till this was larry coryell... funny stuff man...

hilarious mutt... thnx... though eddie is not a fav of mine personally... BTW that's steve gadd and david sanborn with clapton.... and couldnt see him real well but looked like might be jan hammer with eddie... and the only one i've ever heard on frettless 6 string till this was larry coryell... funny stuff man...

D'you ever meet David Sanbord? He's from our neck of the woods (Kirkwood) and comes back to St. Lou now and again.

Yeah me neither.

Back