Interested in buying N-track. Questions...

Whyte Ice

The Next Vanilla Ice
I am looking into buying N-track studio and wanted to ask some questions before doing so.

I am pretty much looking for a program that has MIDI capabilities and N-Track caught my eye because of it's price. I've never used MIDI before so I'm not what you would call an advanced user but I plan on getting an interface soon. I'm basically looking for the following features and wonder if N-Track supports them.

1) Ability to export MIDI files into another program such as Cool Edit Pro.
2) Ability to use VST/DX plugins.
3) Ability to use VST instruments and/or SoftSynths, something like Sampletank.
4) Easy to use MIDI recording for someone beginning in this field but advanced enough for a moderate user.
5) MIDI editing.

I use Cool Edit Pro 2.1 (Adobe Audition) as my main recording tool and would like to keep using it but it's downfall is that it barely has any MIDI support.

I was reading some other threads and heard some say that N-Track is going to be upgraded soon. I wonder if I buy it now, will I be able to upgrade to a new version free or am I only entitled to small updates and bug fixes?

Since I'm only looking for software to use its MIDI capabilities, are there any alternative solutions I could look into? Any recommendations?

I have never used ntrack for its midi capabilities, but I have heard that you don't buy ntrack for midi. Maybe that has changed in the last while, but that's what I seem to remember.

sae said:
I have never used ntrack for its midi capabilities, but I have heard that you don't buy ntrack for midi. Maybe that has changed in the last while, but that's what I seem to remember.

What he said. I've never used it for MIDI either, but I've heard it said numerous times that using N's midi capabilities make it go "loopy".

I've gotta say, in addition, that it is a WONDERFUL program for my purposes, can't beat it for the $.

What is the next step up from N-, price-wise,MIDI-capibility, and overall recording quality???
Is it mutiny to ask such a question within the hallowed halls of this forum???

haha.. Nope, not mutany. It's a fair question. Just not sure i have the answer, but here's what i know...

I've toyed with MIDI a bit in N, and it does a fair job. I've imported from my Roland DR5, edited (a bit crude but usable) using the piano roll. Not sure about exporting to another editor tho'. Can't help you there. Never done MIDI recording.

Yes, it supports DX, VST, and VSTi. Yes, there's a new version being worked on, but don't expect it anytime soon. That more than likely means that you'd be buying version 3 and would have to pay to upgrade to ver 4 if/when you chose to do so.

I too have heard a number of people who are more savey with MIDI than i complain about N's limited MIDI capabilities. I don't recall those complaints being 'stability' issues tho'.. seems they were 'flexibility' related.

Having said all that.. $45 isn't much of a gamble.

tj

Back