Intel Centrino OK for audio?

pennylink

I'm looking at getting a laptop for recording audio and midi, taking advantage of firewire technology. Here are a couple of questions if someone can help me out:

1. How does the Intel Centrino technolgy stack up against P4? It's confusing to me... what does a Centrino 1.7 GHz processor translate to in a P4 as far as processing power?

2. If the laptop only has one firewire port (that I would use for an interface such as Tascam 1804 or Presonus Firebox), could I use a FireWire CardBus Laptop Adapter Card to plug in an external hard drive, and would it drain anything from the first firewire port or would both function at 100%?

3. Is there another way to hook up more than one firewire device?

Thanks in advance :)

centrino is not a processor. Its the technology. It means it meets certin standards. Most likly you will see "P4 with centrino". You can hook up more than one firewire device like usb dasiychaining them. any Firewire added to the chain will share the the bus. so yes running more devices via firewire will slow it down

altiris said:
centrino is not a processor. Its the technology. It means it meets certin standards. Most likly you will see "P4 with centrino".
Centrino is a chipset for Pentium M processors, which have nothing to do with Pentium 4 processors (entirely different cores).

elevate said:
Centrino is a chipset for Pentium M processors, which have nothing to do with Pentium 4 processors (entirely different cores).

actually it's not just a chipset. Altiris was right in saying it's the technology...but it is made up of three parts: the Pentium M processor, the chipset (855GM with integrated graphics or the 855PM), and Intel's 802.11b wireless solution.

I was thinking the wireless component was built in to the chipset. Regardless, the point was that there is no Pentium 4 + Centrino combo.

pennylink said:
How does the Intel Centrino technolgy stack up against P4? It's confusing to me... what does a Centrino 1.7 GHz processor translate to in a P4 as far as processing power?
Thanks you all for the responses. Can anyone still shed some more light on Centrino vs. P4. For example, what would the equivalent of a P4 3.0 GHz be in a Centrino?

Or if we turn it around, if I was to get a Centrino 1.73 GHz, which P4 would be similar in processing speed? (assuming the other things like RAM, hard disk speed, etc. were the same)

Thanks again :)

Back