Integrity of SPDIF??

Lorddiagram

Is a SPDIF in a SPDIF in?

If I have get a device, say the DBX 386, and use its SPDIF out in to my computer, is the quality affected by which card/interface has the SPDIF in?

Any reccomendations for Pre’s with a SPDIF out?

I have a WAMI Rack and it has SPDIF in. So I’d like to bypass its Pre’s and A/D.

Thanks all,

lD

I am not aware of any decent reasonably priced pres that have SPDIF out (i.e., equal to a FMR real nice pre or better).

Apogee mini-me has USB out (as an option), and I think Grace Lunatic has either S/PDIF or USB

Al

is the quality affected by which card/interface has the SPDIF in?

No. It is just a transfer of digital data, just like an ethernet connection of -heaven forbid- a floppy disk. Unless of course you pay no attention to things like who is master for clock, use a suitable cable with reasonable lenght and so on. But then you will have gross problems.

Best you can do is using the AD converter's clock as a master. In your case that would be the dbx.

By gross error I mean clicks, periodic signal loss etc. Not like a minor distortion that you only hear in quiet passages. It will be either all or almost nothing. A suitable cable is any 75 Ohm coax with rca connectors that make good contact. And a reasonable lenght is max 5m or so.

I use the dbx 386 this way at home and on the road.

I'd recommend it.

I think the converters are better than in the Delta1010 or my external CDRW which also accepts a S/PDIF input.

Back