insulation?

Mach311

Newbie here. I've searched and read a million posts or so about bass traps, but I haven't found the answer to my stupid question yet. So here goes: I've got a ton of extra "pink" rolls of R-13 insulation laying around. If I were to say take two layers of this and mash it down, fit it into a 2x4 frame and cover it with some sort of cloth, would this be anywhere near the same thing as using the OC-703 rigid insulation for a bass trap? thanks!

Mach311 said:
If I were to say take two layers of this and mash it down, fit it into a 2x4 frame and cover it with some sort of cloth, would this be anywhere near the same thing as using the OC-703 rigid insulation for a bass trap? thanks!

Yes, although it will be difficult to predict performance. It will depend on how thick your frame is, and how much insulation you manage to stuff in that thickness. You will probably want to put some metal straps behind the fabric and in front of the insulation, and some sort of spacer 16" OC since otherwise the insulation would tend to bulge out.

It's cheap enough to try, that's for sure.

Mach311 said:
Newbie here. I've searched and read a million posts or so about bass traps, but I haven't found the answer to my stupid question yet. So here goes: I've got a ton of extra "pink" rolls of R-13 insulation laying around. If I were to say take two layers of this and mash it down, fit it into a 2x4 frame and cover it with some sort of cloth, would this be anywhere near the same thing as using the OC-703 rigid insulation for a bass trap? thanks!

Depending on how much room you have in your corners and how much insulation you really do have, you can simply stack them as rolls (even leave them in their wrapper) floor to ceiling, and you'd have great bass traps I've heard. For aesthetic reasons, you could attach a piece of fabric diagonally across the corners to cover them up. Just make sure it's something that you can breathe through.

Well, I don't have quite enough room to stack rolls of it.

I think I'll try constructing one. I found
this on another forum. Useful info.

I think I'll construct a 16" X 48" frame out of 2x4s and squish as much as possible in there. I've got the 2x4s and fiberglass, so my cost is going to be VERY low.

Back