Insturmental metal

chandlerhimself

Here is a song I wrote a while ago. I don't really write metal often, but I was in the mood one day and wrote this. I wanted to write something that would sound like a fight scene in an anime. I think my recording skills have improved in the last year or so since I recorded this, but I still need help. I think I compressed it too much, I might have killed the punch. Also the drums are a bit boring and mechanical, but there's not much I can do to fix that now. Should I lower the rhythm guitars? Too much bass? Any comments are welcome.

Last edited:
I think the main rhythm guitars are taking up most space and could be dropped back some. The drums could be remixed. Can't hear the kick and can hear the snare mostly far in the back ground. It's a cool little tune though.

I remixed it a bit. Like I said before I can't do as much eq on this song as I'd like, but I did boost and cut some things. I boosted the bass drum and snare and the rhythm gts have been cut a bit. It sounds much punchier now than before. After I uploaded it to soundcloud it seems to have made the drums even louder though. Maybe it's too much now. Anyway, does it sound better?

yes the second mix is better 8) You got chops! er the guitar player does whomever that was. Drums still need help imho but I'm not a real good person to comment on drums. I think the rhythm guitar could come down in volume a bit more. The second mix is much better. I like the tune. If it was me though I would add some light harmonies over the rhythm section. Something simple

Thanks for the comments. Like I said before I can't tweak the drums to the degree I'd like, so there isn't much more I can do to them. I'll try to bring down the rhythm guitars and I already have a synth pad on the track, but I put it really low. I'll try to bring it up. I think I'm almost done mixing though. When I started on it I didn't know all the things I know now, so I made some mistakes that are hard/impossible to fix. I'll try to improve it, but I have other songs to work on, so I don't want to spend much more time on this one.

Hey Chandlerhimself,i didn't mind your track at all,i think you achieved what you wanted to do,i did get a 80's action movie/fight scene vibe from it.

Im just curious though,why you say that you cant tweak some components anymore? or why some mistakes that are too hard or impossible to fix?

Most of your issues,could probably be fixed with EQ and other basic tools.

Cheers

The drums I programmed as 1 track, so I can't eq the kick, snare, etc. I can only eq the whole kit, which isn't as good. I'd like to make the kick a little more clicky, but I can't without messing up the rest of the drum kit.

The drums I programmed as 1 track, so I can't eq the kick, snare, etc. I can only eq the whole kit, which isn't as good. I'd like to make the kick a little more clicky, but I can't without messing up the rest of the drum kit.

I think you could do well with another rhythm guitar track and panning them more and let the drums breathe a bit. They are choking out everything else.

Back