instrumental epic rock song for action video game

BRIEFCASEMANX

Winner chicken dinner!
I'm working on this song for an action video game. It is not the type of music I've ever made before, so I'm very unsure of myself with this bullcrap. I just want to finish this shit and order a bunch of fucking pizzas and just go apeshit on that pizza cause I'm starving or whatever?

As you guys know from my recent thread of "Stone Temple Pilots - Plush" cover song, I cannot play guitar. At all. So it is unlikely that I can change the guitar parts to sound "cooler", cause I can only play power chords, and even then, barely.

I am more interested in how the mix sounds, and any drum programming tips. Usually all the songs I make are synth songs with synthy drums that don't need to sound realistic. Or experimental rock songs where the drums are purposely made to sound unrealistic. Here it is.

keep on rocking in the free world, sexy women.

I really liked the sound of your guitars. Nice, fully, crunchy, and a great sound reverb.. Good work on the guitars.

Your drum sounds were okay, but you need to work on your drum programming. Even if a real drummer were to play what you programmed, it would still sound programmed. There's no fluidity, no rhythm...

My advice would be to listen to your favorite "real drummer" songs (something by Van Halen or Creedence or whatever band you know who has a real drummer playing real drums) and listen closely to what they're doing. That'll probably help you out loads.

This was about a billion times better than your other stuff. Thanks for sharing!

I agree with the drum comments. Very cheap and robotic sounding. I don't mess with programmed drums so I don't know how to fix them, but making them more "human" would be a good start.

I like the guitar sounds for this song. Mix aint bad. Much better than that other crap you posted. :D

i liked most of it, alot of it is pretty cool, but then lost my interest during some parts. although, if its for a video game maybe that's ok then. the sound quality could be improved? good luck:)

Well, other than one tom part in the middle, all the drum hits are the exact same volume so is part of it, but I also really have zero clue how to program normal sounding drum parts or what I could change to make it sound more realistic or rockin. I pretty much only care about rocking out in life in general, so this song is really hurting my lifestyle.

I pretty much only care about rocking out in life in general, so this song is really hurting my lifestyle.

Did I catch a niner in there?
Were you calling from a walkie-talkie?

Positive note, I second what Greg posted earlier, much better than, well, you know. I really like the melody of this one. If you have a draw function when you pull up your midi track to edit, choose the sine function and then select all the hits, run your sine over the value display area and you will get varying hits on your drums. It works for me. Good job!

midii

i do a lot of programmed drums and
so my advice is
get a good program like ez drummer or superior drummer
with drum kit from hell or metal foundry
then get a trigger finger and combined with the "grooves" in those programs ull have infinite possibilities!
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_au/TriggerFinger.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k23sbWrL8ZE

the trigger finger will allow u to dial in ur own fills special beats and the rest u can get from the grooves

theres tons of shit!

I really like the lead guitar sound. Awesome kind of room sound or whatever it is going on there.

I think a different beat for the drums would make it less robotic. It's playing the exact same accents as the guitar and that doesn't make for much contrast.

Sometimes with programming drums, I try to be more minimal. If I'm trying for a rock sound, I'll emphasize the kick and snare. Other than the kick, most things start to sound like it's an obvious sample if played frequently. You can try using velocity changes and different samples to help this. Like a sample for a snare hit left and a snare hit righty for rolls with added velocity tuning might make the faster notes play smoother.

For the video game kinda rock, You can get away with using samples that don't exactly replicate a real drum set. You can try another set of samples in which you can shamelessly sound fake.

I've been wanting to do video games for a while but don't know anybody. I've been scoring films for 2 years now. It's fun stuff if you continue to do it!

Eric

Back