Instrument Frequencies Map

very good. A bit late though, Southside posted this a month or more ago. But indead, I learned stuff from this or something.

Yeah Southside Glenn made this. It's very helpful to learn what frequencies to listen for when EQing.

Bugger!! I only found it today! :o

I thought it might be the sorta thing Southside Glen was into actually.

Never mind, it'll teach me for venturing outside of the Dragon Cave. :mad:

Nah, thanks for putting it up!
Others may not have seen it & it's certainly a message worth broadcasting so TA!

I'm one of those people who had never seen it, and it is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks!

I've spent a lot of time hopelessly reading the Frequency Analysis in Cool Edit Pro (I refuse to upgrade to Adobe Audition, because of what they did to the mouse wheel!*), so it's nice to have a chart.

*the mouse wheel adds a new track, instead of scrolling down. WTF?! Why aren't there 128 tracks to begin with anyway?

I'm one of those people who had never seen it, and it is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks!

I've spent a lot of time hopelessly reading the Frequency Analysis in Cool Edit Pro (I refuse to upgrade to Adobe Audition, because of what they did to the mouse wheel!*), so it's nice to have a chart.

*the mouse wheel adds a new track, instead of scrolling down. WTF?! Why aren't there 128 tracks to begin with anyway?

Off-topic but it is SO time for you to try out Reaper!

http://reaper.fm

Do it today without delay!

I've spent a lot of time hopelessly reading the Frequency Analysis in Cool Edit Pro...so it's nice to have a chart.
As the author of those charts (yes, plural, there is a second full-sized chart in there too ;) ) I hopefully am allowed a little self-criticizm here. I truely appreciate the compliments it constantly draws. I do not wish to look a gift whore in the mouse, but to be honest, it still amazes me to this day just how "helpful" people really find that instrument chart to be. Truthfully, that indicates to me a bit of a problem, because too many people seem to be getting far more out of that chart that they really IMHO should be.

The #1 thing I get out of that chart myself is that practically all instruments share the same majority of frequency range; and that *should* be the #1 lesson that thing teaches.

The #2 lesson, and the reason I included the bottom two areas - the adjectives and the EQ bands - is that being able to tell what to do with your instrument tracks has nowhere near as much to do with the nature of the instrument (because of #1), but rather with what you hear it doing, and how what you hear relates to the actual fundamental frequencies involved.

One should not be disappointed that they're not getting a lot out of a frequency analyzer. Frequency analysis is fine for troubleshooting specific problems that one can't necessarily hear (finding low frequency buildup troubles, harmonic distortions, transient frequencies, etc.), but they do a lousy job of telling one what they actually are hearing. And it's not until one understand what they are hearing that one can make heads or tails out of a frequency analysis anyway.

My instrument chart can be a useful guide once one has the frequencies themselves pretty well ID'd in their heads as to what they actually sound like, but if one can't, for example, tell with just their ears whether a particular sound is closer to 200Hz or 400Hz, or pretty much tell that a certain sound is eminating from closer to 3khz than it is to 6kHz, and so on, even the best visual chart in the world (of any type) isn't really going to help very much.

Sit down with an EQ and some good program material and spend a week just learning the frequency bands. That'll get you 90% of the way home. *THEN* the frquency chart can help take you the remaining 10%. Reverse that order, and that chart will only give you a slighly bigger stick for swinging at an invisible pinata.

G.

Last edited:
I honestly hadn't realised it was your creation, Glen. No theft intended! :)
Ummmm...huh? What? Who stole what?

No problem Rik (Did I remember that right?) I see no theft here. This is only about the 3rd or 4th time someone has brought a new thread here re that chart since I first published and announced over a year ago. The monster has it's own life. Besides repeated notices here, It's shown up in it's own Italian language thread on an Italian audio forum, was stumbled upon and added to Stumbled Upon about 10 months ago, and has been on the Most Popular Link list over at HomeTracked ever since it came out. And that just the stuff I have been told about.

I'm thinking of adding a line on the chart for Barak Obama and putting the app on You Tube :D.

G.

good stuff Glen (& noisedude for digging it up)

Interesting "disclaimer" post also - good perspective

Ummmm...huh? What? Who stole what?

No problem Rik (Did I remember that right?) I see no theft here. This is only about the 3rd or 4th time someone has brought a new thread here re that chart since I first published and announced over a year ago. The monster has it's own life. Besides repeated notices here, It's shown up in it's own Italian language thread on an Italian audio forum, was stumbled upon and added to Stumbled Upon about 10 months ago, and has been on the Most Popular Link list over at HomeTracked ever since it came out. And that just the stuff I have been told about.

I'm thinking of adding a line on the chart for Barak Obama and putting the app on You Tube :D.

G.

Almost ......... Nik! :)

I came across it on Basschat.co.uk whilst scouting for someone to tell me why my slap playing sucks so much.

I hate it when someone finds something and takes credit (especially as my OP said it was imperfect .......) but in any case I wanted to thank you for that site as it has some interesting things on there that a chump such as myself can learn from as he gets back into recording a little bit.

You know, a couple of Google adwords bits and your server would pay for itself in no time!! ;)

Nik

Almost ......... Nik! :)
Damnit! I knew it was one of the two. I flipped Javier Bardeem's coin. :(
I hate it when someone finds something and takes credit (especially as my OP said it was imperfect .......) but in any case I wanted to thank you for that site as it has some interesting things on there that a chump such as myself can learn from as he gets back into recording a little bit.
I never even thought of it as you taking credit, Nik. No problems there. And I am glad to hear anytime that anything I may have said or done is actually helpful to someone; I apprecaite the props and am glad you find it useful :).
You know, a couple of Google adwords bits and your server would pay for itself in no time!! ;)
I'm waiting untill the site becomes even more popular so I can piss as many people off as I can :D.

There will be ads on the front page, but the online apps themselves like the freq chart will remain ad-free. But right now I'm working on more programming content for the site first. I can't announce exactly what it the new content will be yet, but the only thing holding back is some last minute software glitches I am ironing out. Soon.....

G.

Cool! It's a site that's subtly different from most of the other resources around, not least because it presents the information as fact/truth rather than possibilities up for discussion, which saves time rather than wading through reams of misinformation on gain staging, for example, on a site like this.

It goes without saying that a busy forum has its own strengths, but you have some very cool resources there.

Well, here's a little tease of a secret: the next programming comming out on the site will include offerings from more than just myself.

G.

Last edited:
You'll have to pardon me if this sounds kind of dumb, but I am kind of new to this whole mixing thing. I am just curios, say for bass guitar when the chart says that the "Bottom" is between 50 Hz and 80 Hz, does that mean that you should boost somewhere in that frequency range? Or is that basically a guide so that if you are missing something in the "bottom end" of the bass you know where to go EQ wise to try and get some bottom back into the mix?

You'll have to pardon me if this sounds kind of dumb, but I am kind of new to this whole mixing thing. I am just curios, say for bass guitar when the chart says that the "Bottom" is between 50 Hz and 80 Hz, does that mean that you should boost somewhere in that frequency range? Or is that basically a guide so that if you are missing something in the "bottom end" of the bass you know where to go EQ wise to try and get some bottom back into the mix?
It's just a map. I can show you a map of Illinois that shows you where the town of Carlinville is located, but that doesn't mean it suggests that you should actually go there :D. It's just letting you know where it's at.

That statement just means that, on average for most bass instruments, that's where that attribute of of the instrument is located in the frequency spectrum.

Only your ears can tell you whether that attribute needs any work or not.

G.

Back