instant classic from gearslutz

doulos24

and I need someone to tell me what mics to use, into what preamps, and how should I hook up all the cables? Should I use Mac or PC? Or tape? Maybe I should get some plugins, what should I buy? Will I be able to do all this for under $500, or do I need to borrow some money from my grandmother? If they have 10 songs that are 3 minutes long each, will 45 minutes be enough studio time, or should I go for broke and charge them for an hour? I have cool edit pro, does that sound good? Or should I upgrade to Sonar because that's what submarines use and that's high end? The guy at Guitar Center told me that I need a high end mic like the AT2020, but that seems a little expensive. Is there an awesome sounding mic for about 27 dollars that will sound like Nickelback? I love Nickelback, I want to be just like them when I grow up. If I have a Rode mic does that mean I have the best mic there is? It's self noise is only 7 dba. Is that good? Or bad? The Musician's friend catalog said that's good. But then again, they say that everything's good. I just don't know what to believe anymore. Are they really my friend, or are they just saying that? I don't know anything about recording, but I have a bootleg copy of Reason. Does this mean I'm a producer now? Maybe if I get autotune I can get a job in Nashville. My girlfriend's pretty hot, can she be the next Taylor Swift? She can't sing, but her dad's got a lot of money and she's underage. Or maybe I can cut out the middleman and just be the next T-Pain. How do I get that T-Pain sound? What presets should I use to record my hit album? I know all the pros use is M-Audio gear and Avalon 737's, that's the best channel strip around, no good albums were made before the Avalon 737. I know a guy who told me that ADAT is better beacause it's tape, and tape is analog, so that's better. Because it's warm and punchy. Like tubes, warm and punchy. I've got an ART Tube MP, so why don't my recordings sound like Nickelback and OH MY GOD WHY DON'T YOU PEOPLE READ A BOOK OR HANG AROUND A STUDIO OR SOMETHING AND STOP ASKING SO MANY STUPID QUESTIONS!!!! IT'S NOT THAT COMPLICATED!!!!

i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

And just think...these type of questions get asked daily. It's a big reason I stopped coming to recording forums (HomeRecording, GearSlutz) because I do mostly reading to learn more. There just seemed to be the same questions asked over and over and over. And they were all kind of stupid ones like the original poster had. I didn't even ask that type of stuff when I first started.

I read the whole damn thing and was pissing myself laughing and then you had to go and mention Nickleback and I had to go puke....Thanks...thanks fer that...

...BTW...I like my 2020's thanks...I have no delusions of recording an "epic" album in a home studio....

Sounds like my gear and I sound just like Nickelback. Don't know what his problem is maybe his gear is not routed right.

Ah...I see your problem. The first issue is that you *want* to sound like Nickeback...

Frank

Maybe I'm crazy, but most of their recordings are pretty damn good. Not my style of music, but the tracks are above average for pro recordings. Not a bad place to shoot for.......

Maybe I'm crazy, but most of their recordings are pretty damn good. Not my style of music, but the tracks are above average for pro recordings. Not a bad place to shoot for.......

I'm kidding...yes, they are very, very good recordings. They all sound the same, but that's not the tracking or mix engineer's fault. It's definitely not my style musically by a long shot.

Frank

I'm kidding...yes, they are very, very good recordings. They all sound the same, but that's not the tracking or mix engineer's fault. It's definitely not my style musically by a long shot.

Frank

LOL. :D Yeah, I agree, they've written the same hit song 87 times. A good gig if you can get it I guess. The first time I heard that stupid Rockstar song, I thought it was a joke song done by the local radio station. I absolutely hate that song......

Kids these days . . . time was, we couldn't record anything, because our Tascams had chewed up all our cassettes, our ADATs just flashed an error message, and none of our soundcards worked with any of our mobo chipsets . . . also, condenser mics were $5,000 each, and you couldn't buy one unless you spoke German and dressed in a spandex unitard. Then when you finally recorded your Soundblaster masterpiece, you uploaded it to mp3.com where they actually paid you real actual cash money with their ill-gotten IPO proceeds . . .

Those were the days, man :(

Sound card, what's a sound card? Computer? Huh??

Now that was reel fun... (yes, pun intended)

Nah... I remember my first 8 bit sound card that cost me a months wages... came with Cakewalk... Was I ever impressed

Back