installing internal DI box transformers into guitar?

richard_2277

I have been thinking to do a mod on a guitar but wanted to hear from feeback from you all.

I have a nice Guild F50 jumbo that came equipmed with a Fishman Prefix Premium Blend pick up system (dual source: piezo and consensor mic...not the best there is but sounds pro enough).

Regardless of how & where I ever plugged in, I always first plugged into 2 separate countrymen 85 direct boxes so that i could feed channel strips a healthy balanced signal with no ground-noise or other. Also, those channel trips (could always offer phantom power to the DI boxes, so..no need for batteries).

In order to cut down on duffel-bag accessories & weight, I thought " why not acquire 2 countryman or jensen transformers (by themselves) and have them hard wired on the ends of each Fishman unbalanced source-wire. Then, modify my guitar to have 2 outs with balanced TRS wiring. This would give me a countryman/jensen transformer-quality balanced signal "right out of the box" (excuse the pun).

Then, when I plug into the two XLR pre-amps of my D-tar, I could utilize that Solstice's low Z preamps & have more headroom (and at the same time, juicing up the Fishman system's wimpy unbalanced outs).

I know there are better pick ups out there than the Fishman Premium blend (but this guitar already has the cut out and install). So, I am just trying to build off of what I have. And, with using Countrymans before (externally), the Fishman sounded better (than when stock unbalanced).

HERE IS ONE MODEL I WAS THINKING TO BUY: jensen-transformers.com/datashts/11p41.pdf

have any of you ever heard of a mod like this?

Jensen transformers can be had pretty cheap on ebay (new & used). Seems like it would be a pretty simple & lightweight mod to do (just soldier a few wires and ad some 2-sided foam tape).

please comment, everyone?

Type 85 DIs are active. There's a lot more going on than a transformer. The high input impedance of the active circuit makes it work with a lot of difficult inputs, like piezo pickups.

What you would want is the kind of transformer found in a high quality passive direct box one of these, perhaps. But that input impedance may not be high enough for your pickup unless there's some active circuitry between the pickup and transformer.

thanks for this comment. it is what i needed. the jensen parts are found cheaper than the countryman modules anyway.

but, note that MY pickup system IS part piezo (and part int-cond-mic). that being said, should i still stay with active style modules like the 85?

i am using an external 85 now and it works. you feel it is still overkill for a piezo/mic fishman system?

i value your linked suggestion for the jensen modules. you really think those are the ones to order, huh?

note, i do not mind buying active modules (requiring phantom power) because my 2 channel preamp offers 48v (d-tar solstice).

boulder, huh? i am in fort collins! see ya, bro..

thanks for this comment. it is what i needed. the jensen parts are found cheaper than the countryman modules anyway.

but, note that MY pickup system IS part piezo (and part int-cond-mic). that being said, should i still stay with active style modules like the 85?

i am using an external 85 now and it works. you feel it is still overkill for a piezo/mic fishman system?

i value your linked suggestion for the jensen modules. you really think those are the ones to order, huh?

note, i do not mind buying active modules (requiring phantom power) because my 2 channel preamp offers 48v (d-tar solstice).

It looks to me like the piezo goes through the onboard preamp, so proper loading of the piezo isn't an issue and it would be technically feasible to put transformers in your guitar. You wouldn't need any phantom power, but a ground lift switch would be good.

boulder, huh? i am in fort collins! see ya, bro..

If you're in town and have some time I might be able to arrange a studio tour. I work in two Boulder studios.

It looks to me like the piezo goes through the onboard preamp, so proper loading of the piezo isn't an issue and it would be technically feasible to put transformers in your guitar. You wouldn't need any phantom power, but a ground lift switch would be good.

If you're in town and have some time I might be able to arrange a studio tour. I work in two Boulder studios.

kool, maybe someday i will look you up! here is a link about me:

proaudio-central.com/articles/pro-audio-asia/DB-Mark-welcomes-Richard-Steven-Pavelec-as-international-relations-support-manager

so, you feel pretty strong that i should simply shop for one of the models you suggested? i am about to place an order with jensen so any famous last words? i am thinking these:

jensen-transformers.com/datashts/dbe.pdf

If it were me I'd stick with the Type 85 DIs. But the DI transformer seems to be what you need. Maybe someone at Jensen can tell you for sure.

Back