Inserts and balanced vs. unbalanced

Adam P

I am in the process of preparing to start wiring up some of my rack effects to a patchbay. I won the patchbay and a few hundred feet of Mogami 2534 quad cable on eBay, and I'm going to use 40 feet of the cable to make twenty two-foot TRS-TRS cables for connecting my rack gear to the bay, and for patch cables.

I record to an HD24 and mix and sum through my Allen & Heath board. The audio doesn't touch a computer for effects processing or anything until the mixdown stage (I sum through the board to my Echo Layla card). Consequently, when mixing and when tracking, I often connect compressors, gates, etc, via my board's insert points. The inserts are like most consumer-level boards: unbalanced I/O on a single TRS jack. In fact, it seems as if you have to spend an awful lot on a board before you get to the point where your insert sends and returns are on separate balanced connections (even the Ghost has the unbalanced TRS).

I'd guess that the vast majority of people here who use a board for tracking and/or mixing probably have one with the unbalanced TRS inserts. My question is this: have any of you in this situation found that your unbalanced inserts are a problem? If so, what do you do to remedy the issue? Do you balance the connections, either at the board or at the patch bay? Do you use transformers or ICs? Is this even worthwhile, financially? It seems as if buying a slew of transformers or ICs wouldn't be worth it to balance, for example, my board, which would have 36 points that needed it.

I haven't noticed a problem when I was using insert cables directly to the equipment as needed, but I know that running gear through a patchbay also means longer cable lengths. I still plan on wiring the bay as balanced, just because. I'm simply curious as to whether or not there's anything I should be aware of or look out for.

You would probably have to balance the sends at the board (which would mean an expensive mod, At least one transformer I would say) since the send and return is all in one 1/4" jack. Tip send sleeve return, (I think). I just use my AUX sends to shoot a signal to the patch bay and return into an open channel on the board. That way I have EQ options, and bussing options.

It is a non issue. As soon as a balanced signal gets into any piece of gear, the first thing that happens is it becomes an unbalanced signal. Balanced isn't better than unbalanced, it's just less prone to pick up noise. If you don't have a noise problem, you don't need balanced connections.

High dollar boards have balanced inserts because large studios will sometimes have multiple rooms that are all hooked together or just really long runs to the effects rack. It is a (most of the time unnecessary) luxury.

Don't worry about it.

I agree with Farview. If your just adding a few more feet due to the patchbay, this isn't likely to be a problem. If you want to be assured, do a test. Make up one send return loop through the new patchbay and the cabling you will use, and one short loop. Turn the returns up pretty high and look for a noise floor difference. If there is one, swith the channels of the two loops to make sure it follows the cables.

Your mixing desk preamp will also increase the level in your signal before it is sent back out via insert. This will inheret less noise due to it becomming line level so it shouldn't really matter.

Cool, thanks, guys. I didn't figure it would be an issue but I thought I'd ask of those with more experience. Thanks again!

Back