inserting a compressor with firebox or M-Audio 410

amuro73

I'd like to compress vocals lightly going in, so to do that, I'd route one of the inputs to one of the outputs, into the compressor, then route the output from the compressor to another input, record it.

Anyone try it this way? Any issues?

Thanks!

ari

this would be your chain:

mic > interface in > converter > interface out > compressor >

there really would be no benefit in it if the compressor is'nt in the chain before the converter, unless you just like the sound of the compressor

TravisinFlorida said:

there really would be no benefit in it if the compressor is'nt in the chain before the converter, unless you just like the sound of the compressor

Although, this would be nessesary if using mics that require phantom power correct? I've considered how I will accomplish compression for acoustic guitar/vocals if I have to have the firebox first in line in the signal chain.

i'm not too schooled on all the technical stuff but the general opinion is that no compression is needed outside the box when recording at 24 bits. if you need something compressed after it's recorded, use a plugin.

i'm not sure what you meant about the phantom power thing.

TravisinFlorida said:

Agreed, a good point. I guess that's really useless.

Thanks!

ari

Back