Insert help on PT 7 LE

pappy999

After searching for this problem for two hours I could not find out why I cannot get this to work:

System:
Digi002/behringer ada8000
PT LE 7.4
mac os 10.4

I am trying to hook up outboard gear (reverb, comps, delay) to PT to use as an insert once in while instead of constant ITB plug ins. I would love to have a track going into the outboard unit and record the effect in PT on another track. For example, I have a simple delay unit's out going into channel one on the ADA8000 and the out on the ADA8000's channel one going into the delay unit (I tried this with other units as well). I can hear the unit when using an insert on ADAT1 (slight feedback from whatever unit is hooked up), but the audio is not going into the unit at all. I tried a few different configurations in PT (insert, send to adat 1, etc). What is the proper way to do this in PT 7.4?

i think you'd need to use separate channels if i understand you correctly.

if you're wanting to hardware effect something that's already recorded,

use a PT send to direct the dry recorded track to adat output 1 (make sure send fader is up, and set it to 'pre' to ignore the main channel fader)
send adat output 1 (physical cable) to your effects unit
send the effects output (physical cable) to line input two of the ada
set up a new track in protools, armed to record from input two.

Now when you hit record in protools it will leave your original track alone and record a new track with your effect on it.
There'll be some degree of latency though that you may or may not need to fix.

If you want to use an actual hardware insert then

use a PT send to direct the dry recorded track to adat output 1 (make sure send fader is up, and set it to 'pre' to ignore the main channel fader)
send adat output 1 (physical cable) to line input two of the ada
plug your effects hardware into the ada channel two insert point
set up a new track in protools, armed to record from input two.

same thing, only different! :p

Hope that helps.

Back