Insane on the train - too Pop?

barefoot

barefootsound.com
Ok, I was playing with my new Acid 4.0 on the train ride to work today - midi sequencing, virtual instruments, and all that fun stuff. Here's the outline of a song I quickly sketched out.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/barefoot/singles
"Pop song?"

The drums are stock loops, the editing is choppy, and I'm sure the mix is totally off. Like I said, I just did it on the train this morning - using headphones.

Anyhow, what do you think of the basic tune? I can't decide. In one respect I think it's pretty cool, but then it also sounds very Pop to me. But maybe that's not a bad thing?

Should I go with it, or give it a bit of the old DE-LETE?

Software:
Acid 4.0
Native Instruments FM7
Native Instruments B4

barefoot

Whats wrong with pop?Pop just means popular/mainstream.......some people equate pop with "cheesy".I like cheese too.:D

Sounds pretty good to me for what it is.

I don't think it's too "pop", but I am not a fan of electronic music, so I couldn't know where's the line between "artistic" and "comercial" in that field.

Anyway, just to let you know that (even though I generally don't like electronic music) I liked the tune

I liked it. It reminds me of something you might hear on a commercial. I don't think that's a negative thing. Commercials have come a long from the stupid jingles I grew up with. A lot of them have good music now. Especially the stuff that runs during football games

Twist

Don't delete it. By all means.
I mean, it's not the world's greates masterpiece, but it defenitly has a really nice feel to it. I could see it a sound track to a computer game or something like that.

Really liked it.

Oren

This has a cool kind of groove to it. Kind of hyptnotic...

Sounds like it would make good driving music! The mix sounds good and I like the arrangement.

:)

hey barefoot, I always have streaming problems so lately I have been downloading.. (cable) if you enable the d.l. I will check it out again.. the bit I heard sounded pretty fat... (phat) :D

Keep it! This could definitely be in a commercial (that's meant to be a compliment). And I'd much rather listen to this in a dance club than most of the club music I've heard. Cool stuff and I'm not even into this kind of music. Good job! :cool: :D

I agree with the general sentiment here, there's nothing wrong with pop.

I'm not much of an electronic music guy. So I can't say I'm a fan of this song. However, I think you did a pretty good job of it. You changed up sections nicely, mixing in different sounds at appropriate times. A catchy hook or two.

Drums get a little repetitive though.

I really liked this!
I'd say definitly keep it,it's cool!

Dosn't sound too pop to me.
With the organ you have,sounds like modern rock meets the 60's.
The quiet part at 00:58,really makes the song.

The main main hook was good,and the production and writing were interesting.

Pretty cool for writing it on the train!
Man,wish I had Win 98,I'd definitly get Acid,great sounding software!

Pete

Nice loop, as you kids say,

The organ sounded especially nice, and real.

Drums had that typical cardboard fake sound, don't know if that's what you were shooting for, I personally don't care for it.

Very nice arangement!!

GT

The synth sound at the beginning sounded very Genesis-like. This is weird. Sounds like euro-pop (which I don't like), but somehow the organ sounds add a good feel to it. I love that organ shit. I guess I've grown to like organs since I started listening to Genesis and Pink Floyd.

Hey, thanks all for the good feedback!

Yeah, I guess it's worth pursuing. I definitely hear this as a real song though, with lyrics and vocals, not just an instrumental. Maybe I'll give that a try.

Sam,
I enabled the DL.

Pete,
I'm a big fan of Acid and it's my primary tool, but you need spend a lot of time with it to get things sounding good. When I first started using it about a year and a half ago everything I did sounded "Acidized". Since then I've discovered a lot tricks. GT mentions the drums sound "carboard" and he's right - because I simply let Acid do its thing.

GT,
The drums are stock mono loops I just threw in there to work out the other parts. This is actually kind of strange for me because I usually come up with the drum parts first - they're kind of my forte. For sure, I'll put something much cooler in their place.

CrankyOne,
Makes sense that the beginning synth sounds like Genesis because it's a preset from the FM7 which is a software imitation of the Yamaha DX7 - very popular in the 80's.

Kramer, flapo, twist, Aren, boydrj, Barometer, TripleM,
Thanks for your votes of confidence too!

barefoot

I listened to this when you first put it up...but was too lame to comment. oops...
I agree it kinda has a 'euro' sound to it, and is kinda a starting base for something to take off on. I am not particularly fond of some of the sounds you're using (giving it that typical kinda euro dance/trance kinda sound...at least to me), but they do seem to work for this piece. I'd really like to hear some more rapid fire ideas coming out in your songs, rather than such the repetitiveness of them, but you DO get a decent sound and a decent sense of space in your mixes which I like. This one was not really there mixwise...volume relations kinda weird at times, and more like a 'playback' rather than a mix. but...good stuff that seems up your alley.

Back