input level SLHDFASKDHFASDHF

roflcopter

the USB mic i am using is tracking way too hot. and since the mic uses its own little onboard software driver thingy, i can't go to Control Panel>Sound>Recording and adjust the level there either.

the mic has a "high-medium-low" gain switch on it but even on low it's still clipping out the a**.

i'm truly stumped. anybody have a solution to this?

what make and model is it ?
and how close to the sound sorce is the mic ? it just might be too close.
have you checked in your start > programs to see if there is any sort of program installed for the mic.

it's called an MXL 990 USB.

i'm trying to record drums...all the snare, kick, and crash hits get clipped when i play it back.

how close is too close?

it's called an MXL 990 USB.

i'm trying to record drums...all the snare, kick, and crash hits get clipped when i play it back.

how close is too close?

If I were recording drums with a 990, I'd want the drums in the studio, and the 990 in the trunk of my car. In the driveway. Down by the mailbox.

Seriously, I don't have the USB version, but I've got a 990 and it's hot. You probably are just too close, but you'll have to play it by ear (pun intended) to find the right distance.

but if i get TOO far away, they start sounding kinda distant.

i can't win dude.

Yep, you're right. That's why drums are mostly done with dynamics (except for small diaphragm condensers as overheads). The dynamics can handle much higher SPLs and consequently be much closer.

Yup, that is not a mic to use for drums.

blahh, i figured as much. i was just hoping there was a way to make it work for now, as i am completely strapped for cash.

i thought if i could just get a little less gain from the mic, it would turn out fine.

Well, you could always hang blankets to deaden the room reflections. Then you could pull the mic farther back without it sounding so bad. Also, try putting the mic behind the drummer's head if you aren't already. Experiment with placement.

Failing that, tear that sucker open, unsolder the coupling cap from the FET (very carefully) and add a resistor between the coupling cap and the FET. Then, add another resistor with the same resistance from the same pin of the FET to a ground somewhere. That should be good for a 6 dB cut. :D

Don't ask me what size resistor. I am joking. Besides, I have no idea what the desirable FET input impedance is in a microphone circuit.... Marik? :D

i'm thinking i will experiment with placement. hahahaha

but that DOES sound like something i would try, if i didn't care about risking my only mic.

Back