input capacitor / low cut switch?

slowmotion

Hey guys - sorry for the noob question up front...

I have an amp/preamp/"thing" I want to add a low cut switch to, right at the input. I believe it's pretty simple, using 2 caps of different values and a spst switch, but maybe I'm just missing something.

Basically:
inputcap.jpg

I haven't calculated the values I should be using (I just want one that's big enough to pass everything, and one small to provide a bass cut of some degree), but generally speaking, will this work? OR do I NEED a resistor to ground after each cap?

:o

I made a low pass filter (treble knob) that I put on my synth. All I needed was a cap, and I don't even know what size it was.

It can be difficult to figure out the values for things like this and here's my advice:

Radio Shack sells a bag of short wires with alligator clips on each end (Cat # 278-001). Get those and find some old caps (most broken electronics will give you some, I found mine in a regulated power supply from a computer) and start mocking it up.

You can theorize forever about the design but if you just start hooking things up you'll find out fast what works and doesn't. In the end that's how they made the Space Shuttle.

If you want to talor your Filter to a specific corner frequency you are going to have to make a simple RC Filter , it will use a resistor and capacitor and these values will depend of your corner frequency ....

This simple calculator will show you what values you need for filter you want ...

http://www.muzique.com/schem/filter.htm

Cheers

Back