inporting audio..getting wierd noise

Johnalex

So I did some recording where I work on a Pro Tools TDM system, they are brass samples for a song am working on.

So when I listen to then in Media Player or on a CD player they soudn great.

But when I import them in to Sonar 3 they sound like poo. They get this high pitced noise added to them. What the deal?

It ruins these great samples.

Are the samples bit rates higher than your projects default bit rate?

Maybe try taking them into a WAV editor, check their specs and convert bit depth as required to match what Sonar is set up as.

Q.

hmm no go.

16 bit 44.1 k

16 bit 44.1 k

they match up. It is like a really high pitched noise..sounds like it is comming from maybe some overtones not being converted correctly..or something. I will see if I can post to show you guys.

Here we go

The first one is the sample, straight from the CD converted to MP3

This one is the one from CD to Sonar, exported, then converted. There is a lot more wierd stuff in it tough now, but still similiar.

Is it just that Sonar is doign the math wrong?...or is the the f/s still not matching up?...

thanks john b

Is it just these samples or any other .WAV file that you import in Sonar?

What OS and soundcard are you using?

You may have a driver for another sound card, a voice modem or some other hardware jumping in the way. Load up your SOUNDS AND MULTIMEDIA applet from the Control Panel, look at your audio devices and drivers. Check the properties of all your installed sound codecs and choose "DO NOT MAP THROUGH THIS DEVICE" for all listed items, except for the sound card Sonar is using.

Reboot, give it a go.

:) Q.

Failing that, I think it's time to talk to Cakewalk support!

Describe how you are getting the sample off the CD and into Sonar.

It might also help to describe the process for the good sample as well.

Something sounds amisss in the import process.

I have tried many ways...

First a Media Player rip..I got a wierd noise from that too.

Then a generic mp3/wav ripper- that sucked too

now I am using dBpower- which I think sounds better other then in Sonar

I don't think it is a Sound Card issue. I import audio ALL the time, from CD and ect. I think it is just a Sonar problem. I can't figure it out.

The process of me burning the CD was, Pro Tools (bounce to disk), then in Masterlist I burnt one long CD, then droped it into Sonar and edited...hmmm let me get the audio from that CD again and check it.

We'll see.

thanks again

Johnalex said:
I have tried many ways...

First a Media Player rip..I got a wierd noise from that too.

Then a generic mp3/wav ripper- that sucked too

now I am using dBpower- which I think sounds better other then in Sonar

AFAIK Media Player only rips in WMA format. That's a compressed (lossy) format, best to stay away from it.

Is dBpower ripping MP3's or Waves from the CD. If it's mp3's, you probably want to try ripping Wave files.

One of the best rippers around is Exact Audio Copy. Free too. :)
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Try it. Make sure you rip the Wave at 44.1K sample rate and 16 bits. Rip it to a Wave file on your hard drive, and then import that Wave into Sonar. Should work fine.

None of this involves your Sound Card, except the playback from Sonar (and any other playback). The only way I can think the sound card would be involved, is if your project default settings in Sonar are set to a different sample rate or bit depth - which you already indicated that they're not.

yeah I will try that.

I know media only does wma, but I was just giving it a shot.

I am riping curently to .wav onto my audio drive.

I will try exactcopy tough.

thanks lots mate,

john b

Back