Innexpensive Overheads!

DuoToneBand

Hey guys. I need some CHEAP overheads. Preferably LDC's, but i guess a SDC will work. I know that most would tell me to get a pair of MXL603s' but I use Paiste Signature's and they are very bright. I am going to use them for live. I LOVE the sound of the overheads on the Tower of Power recordings off the Presonus site. That is not the type of music we play, but i love the sound. What should i look into. Right now i have a MXL2001 and a 990/991 pack. I didnt really want them but my dad was at guitar center getting some guitar strings for himself and bought all 3 mics for $100. PLEASE HELP. Budget is tight. I am looking at about $150-$300 for the pair!

DuoDude, I would spend more on the overheads, but if you can't find the oft-mentioned Oktavas, borrow $100 more from your dad and get a pair of Studio Project's C4s. Tell him you can also use them to mic his guitar. -Rez

i dont have any more money right now. I am paying off my new DW Collectors kit and Paiste 2002 snare. My dad says he isnt spending any more money seeing as he bought the firepod and we are looking for a new recording comp cause ours broke. I HAVE used the octavia's and DO NOT like them!

Ooooooh!! You got the 2002 snare!!

I am officially GREEN with envy!!!

Maybe if I sell one of my kids....naw!

It's not easy being green...

i'm with PhilGood on this one. Real green. :rolleyes:

I also didn't care for the Octavas, but a lot of HomeRec-ers seemed to like them.

I can't suggest anything else in that price range. Sorry. Pelusos ($500) would be too bright for you. The Josephsons would be better but they are about $800.

Do your DWs and that awesome snare some justice - save up for the right stuff!

Cheers, Rez

thnx guys! I know, its like sacralege to get cheap overheads!. How about like a single ksm27 or 32 and get another down the road?

RezN8 said:
i'm with PhilGood on this one. Real green. :rolleyes:

I also didn't care for the Octavas, but a lot of HomeRec-ers seemed to like them.

I can't suggest anything else in that price range. Sorry. Pelusos ($500) would be too bright for you. The Josephsons would be better but they are about $800.

Do your DWs and that awesome snare some justice - save up for the right stuff!

Cheers, Rez

Are you guys talking about the mc012's? I just read somewhere (can't remember) someone saying the mk319s were great overheads because the don't have the harsh top-end. They're a little darker, too. I know you don't have money right now.

I'm really kinda bummed with my overhead sound right now. I'm using MXL V63s which I modded with bigger output caps to increase the low end. Only good overheads I've heard lately were the Royer mods I loaned to Simon Phillips. Of course he can afford good preamps, too.

I know!!! Try the Behringer ECM8000 omnis. Harvey Gerst LOVES them on drums and they're $50 each. I have 2 but haven't tried them yet.

KSM27s were what Simon was using when I walked in to drop off mine. They're great!! Get one and go from there like Rez says!

hehehehehehehe! i know! Im soo excited. I think i might just pass on the oh problem for know! I can go buy a cymbal or 2 and use somn else!

Philgood, you name name-droppin' MFer! :D

What is ol' Simon up to these days? I was just listening to him in the car on the way back from NY. It was his cut from the "Burnin' for Buddy" CD.

My friend also leant me a CD of Derek Sherinian that I fell in love with but I had to give it back. :(

RezN8 said:
Philgood, you name name-droppin' MFer! :D

What is ol' Simon up to these days? I was just listening to him in the car on the way back from NY. It was his cut from the "Burnin' for Buddy" CD.

My friend also leant me a CD of Derek Sherinian that I fell in love with but I had to give it back. :(

Yeah, I know it's name dropping. Sorry 'bout that. I've idolized him since the 80s and known him since '96 and it STILL tickles me that we're friends. Tee-hee!

He just finished building his own studio in Van Nuys. It used to belong to Sheila E. It's set up for 5.1 surround. They are currently recording the next Toto album there.

There are some other greats that I know or have met, but I won't name drop them. I'm a little ashamed now.

www.myspace.com/cobradenim Listen to the song "Rotten To The Core" It's just a rough mix.

What do you think of these over heads? The cymbals on this recording are:Zildjian A's
15" New Beat Hi Hats
19" A Medium crash
20" A Medium ride (used as second crash)
21" A Sweet Ride

Back