InnerDream new EPIC - Fragarach (The Answerer)

innerdream

Hello fellow musicians!

I've uploaded another EPIC track on youtube (too long and too big file size for a good quality stream on soundclick) for you folk to have a listen to, critique, praise/bash!

InnerDream - Fragarach (The Answerer) - YouTube

Its a long 11 minute track with lots of twists and turns so hopefully stays interesting throughout the duration

Your comments and feedback are as always, most welcome

Keep rocking

Paul

Not a bad mix - great guitar playing. It sounds VERY compressed to me, both on the individual instruments and the master limiter (either that or the instruments are just REALLY compressed). I'd like to hear some more punch in the kick, not so much boxy-ness (to be honest, it sounds like a cheap sample...). Perhaps set your vocals a little more forward or take down the wet 'verb mix a little bit.

Really, though, damn good mix to start with! Not a whole lot of work to be done!

cheers for the feedback - yeah the compression and limiting is still a bit hit and miss for me at the moment - trial and error! certainly I agree re the drums needing to sound punchier, something I'm definately going to look to rectify for future recordings

whoa the compression is intense...well the song is intense too. It pumps and is making my ears flutter.

good guitar tone for that kind of music.

Drums seem a bit low to me, and the snare has some kind of epic reverb that makes it distracting to me.

I'd also bring the bass up too.

Good playing, very tight performance. Nice solos.

Overall compression is definitely a bit much, you can hear the guitars get pushed back in the mix when the drums are coming in/out at the beginning (as an exmaple of what to listen for to know you're too hot). The tone of the instruments is good though, so you have most of the hardest work done IMO. Agree that the vocals can use some tweaking. The stereo panned/swirling vocals are slightly harsh so maybe just trim some of the higher frequencies. Could also be an unintended side effect of over compressing the mix... The main vocals are a little dry I guess, maybe not the right reverb settings. Maybe find something with a quicker out, rather than a long delay which is what I think is being used now (can hardly tell). It's hard to say much else until improvements are made to the overall quality of the mix. Performance is good. Kinda meshing that '80s metal with a more modern prog/darker metal feel. :)

cheers for the reply guys - i think one of the problems maybe is that im recording the individual parts too hot and having to use more extreme compression/limiter settings on the final mix to compensate clipping

itll be more trial and error on future productions

Back