Inline attenuator for vocals?

For vocals, I use a Rode NT1 and have a groove tubes brick preamp. I have a powerful voice, and no matter what I do, my louder vocals always seem to distort! :( I've tried lowering the gain, and also have stood further away from the microphone. I'm thinking that I should try an inline attenuator, but would this negatively impact the sound?

I've seen a model made by Audio Technica (AT8202 Adjustable Inline Attenuator) for $40, and it seems that it would work, but I have no idea what the quality is. I only would need this for singing, so I wouldn't need more than one channel. What might you recommend?

Also, where would this inline attenuator go? Would it be between my mic and the preamp, or the preamp and the recording system? (I use a Korg D1600) I believe it is my preamp that is actually distorting the signal, not the mic, because I plug the mic direct in the XLR jack of the Korg D1600 with phantom power on and it does not distort. I have been doing vocals this way, and it seems to work okay. But I miss cranking up the Brick with the warm tone, and would like to be able to do this for louder vocals as well.

...I've seen a model made by Audio Technica (AT8202 Adjustable Inline Attenuator) for $40, and it seems that it would work, but I have no idea what the quality is. I only would need this for singing, so I wouldn't need more than one channel. What might you recommend?

Also, where would this inline attenuator go? Would it be between my mic and the preamp, or the preamp and the recording system? (I use a Korg D1600) I believe it is my preamp that is actually distorting the signal, not the mic, because I plug the mic direct in the XLR jack of the Korg D1600 with phantom power on and it does not distort. I have been doing vocals this way, and it seems to work okay. But I miss cranking up the Brick with the warm tone, and would like to be able to do this for louder vocals as well.
Sounds like your overload may be in the preamp over driving at the Korg. But are you going line in to it there not mic?

Thumbs up on the in-lines though, they're fine. Sure makes one with different pad selections, either is good for mic or line if I'm not mistaken.

Sounds like your overload may be in the preamp over driving at the Korg. But are you going line in to it there not mic?
Yes, I am going line in to it. The cable I have is XLR to quarter inch. I connect XLR from the preamp and quarter inch to the Korg. Is this what you mean?

Back