Inexperience question: Getting the most out of effects on a VS-840

David B

I have one of the small Roland boxes and I'm trying to get the most out of it. At bare minumum, I want to use reverb and compression. I'd probably like to use some delay at some point too. But I'm unfamiliar with what order to add which effects or to what extent the limitations of the machine dictate this process.

I know a bit more about reverb than the others and I know I have to add some reverb to my dry guitar tracks etc. I have a reasonable grasp of how much to use to create the depths I want, and where you're supposed to pan it in relation to the source.

I am more in the dark about compression. I understand the theories about what it does, and why you'd want to use it. I've read recommendations about compression ratios, attack, and decay, but I have no actual experience working with it. Should I use compression on individual tracks all along the way? (and if so, should I do that before of after adding reverb or delay?) Or should I wait until the mixdown and compress the whole thing--or both?

I'm similarly inexperienced with delay. If I want to add it, when in the process do I add it (in relation to reverb and compression.)

You'll probably get a lot of responses on this, and everyone has a different way of doing things. I have several VS-880's strung together to make a 24-track studio. (I still haven't upgraded to 24-bit... *sigh*)

In terms of the VS-series recorders, I believe the effect routing goes through effect 2 and then effect 1. So, for example, if you want to add reverb AND delay to a track, you'd probably be better off putting the delay in front of the reverb (delay in EFF2 and reverb in EFF1). You simply need to use a little common sense to determine how you want effects handled. Another example would be using one of the EQ effects with reverb. You should apply the EQ before sending it to the reverb, so EQ goes in EF2 and reverb in EF1.

On thing I've learned with the VS-series is to always think about it in it's component parts: multi-track recorder, mixer, effects rack, and mixdown machine. This is especially helpful when you need to "insert" effects to know where it's being inserted.

One quick word about the compressor/limiter effects on the VS. Don't use them. You just don't have the control you need and you don't get any visual cues to set threshold and output. It's worth the money to buy an outboard compressor/limiter. You'll save yourself some headaches.

Now, with respect to your question about when to add effects, it's generally accepted that you record your tracks dry and add effects during the mixdown. This gives you more flexibility to alter the mix. You can easily lose that cool effect you recorded when you combine it with all of the other tracks. Save effects for mixdown. As for compression, you should only compress those tracks that need it. Generally you're looking at drum, bass, and piano tracks as candidates for compression. If you don't need it, don't use it. The compressor is a corrective tool and should be treated as such. EQ is another matter, and some folks like to record the tracks with EQ while others do everything in the final mix. It's up to you to determine which method works best for you.

With all of the virtual tracks on the VS mixers, you should try recording alternate versions of each track. Try some with and without EQ. Record one compressed bass track and one uncompressed bass track. You can always switch them around and use the one that works the best. That's one great advantage of these machines! The editing features alone make it worth the money!

Good luck!

Back