Inexpensive preamp good match for SM57?

porphyrous

Hello,

My best microphone is an SM57. What would be a good inexpensive match in a preamp. I do synthpop and electro music and I'm a baritone.

I've been eyeballing the JoeMeek VC3 for a long time, but for some reason I remember reading that inexpensive mics and inexpensive preamps are a risky proposition.

---
David Vesel -- electro music
http://www.ampcast.com/davidvesel

David, the Studio Projects VTB-1 works well with the SM57.
Better than the Art Tube, Presonus Blue Tube, M-Audio DMP3, and their
Audio Buddy-to name a few. :)

Although fond of the VC3, it's main claim to fame is its compressor section
and the nice EQ section. The mic pre is pretty good, however, the VTB-1
is a number of notches above it in sound quality.

www.bpmmusic.com has offered free 2 day shipping when you buy it from
them.

Chris

There might not be such a thing as a good, inexpensive match for an sm57.

Most lower-output dynamic mics (like the 57) and transformer-based condensers tend to be very picky about loading. If they don't see an "ideal" load, they won't sound as good. Same with Ribbon mics.

The best you can probably hope for is to match it up with something with the lowest impedence you can find. The ART Tube MP happens to have the lowest impedence, I believe, of any of the budget pres. Unfortunately, some people experience an unusual amount of RF and other sorts of fun noises and hum with them. Some don't.

For the time being, keep in mind that most budget pres are designed to perform most admirably with tranformerless condensers (like the C1 and most other budget condensers on the market). They can still sound good with an sm57, for sure, but it isn't necessarily what you'd call an ideal match.

Back