inexpensive HH mic

aaronmcoleman

The truth is out there!
Hey,

I'm going to be doing some heavier drums (heavier for me...i'm pretty mellow) and the high hats haven't been coming out loud enough for me. I use a Johns or Recorderman for OH with NT5s, 57 on snare, and D112 on kick. I've got two other 57's I'm going to stick on the toms (may not keep those tracks...we'll see). And I have a pair of Fatheads I'm going to use in the room (but I usually like a room verb instead).

I'd like to close mic the HH too. I have NT5s I use for OH which would be perfect for HH too, and I have Fatheads I could try on OH, but I just like the NT5s there.

So, I'm looking for another fairly cheap HH mic, probably an SDC of some kind? Any thoughts? Also, would a pair be good for HH and some extra Ride?

I sometimes use my at2021 on hats... Its quite brash but with a little high end scooping in the eq stage, I get a nice dirty HH sound that cuts thru nicely.

I've got a PG81 you can borrow if you want. It's not amazing, but it has surprised me. I'd imagine it'd work pretty decent on the hi-hat.

i quite like the sE1a on both HH and to close mic the ride if needed. not as cheap as they once were sadly but still not super expensive.

in the dirt cheap range i've been looking at the Karma audio silver bullets for similar duties (i just love the idea of being able to gaffa tape them to cymbal stands as they're so tiny) but being in the UK makes importing US made mic's more expensive

Back