Industry Standard Mic

RayneOfHavik

So im in the process of upgrading everything i own, to compete more with industry standard quality Vocals/product. i just got my neve 1073 mic pre, so i know most mics will sound decent with that alone. BUT. ive been doing a lot of researching, and stuck betwen a few mics. originally i had an akg perception 420. which i hate for vocals. hence my reason for changing. So far the AKG C414 XLS, Neumann U87, Blue Cactus, and Audio Technica 4060 is what i was debating between. referring to this video, youtube DOT com/watch?v=cqww4SlLaNs ... the AKG C214 seems to be a strong competitor. Which kinda mind boggles me, that it would be listed so cheap. ive read a lot that this specific mic is basically the same as its C414 relative, without polarity options. Which at this time, I will only be recording my vocals, cardiod is all i need. Is this mic worth penny saving? or will i be losing out on needed quality that i mise well just spend to get. I trust my engineering abilites, as well as my teams.. but Ive heard other people on it, and of course ill never really know until i try it myself. Its unfortuante i live no where near somewhere i can test it, but maybe one of you guys have came across this mic. thoughts on the C214 ? As far as the other mics i have listed here. What would you guys suggest for hip hop vocals ?

First off I haven't used any of the mics that you've listed.

I'm guessing you're working in more of a commercial studio based on "I trust my engineering abilites, as well as my teams". That being said, I'd probably go for the "real" C414 over the "baby" C214 version. I would expect to find the 214 in a home studio, but not a pro studio. In a "real studio" I'd would expect to see the 414's. They seem to be in just about every pic or video on pro studios. They're kinda like Yamaha NS10m monitors that way.

If I was looking at the C214, I'd probably just get this:AKG C 214 Matched Stereo Pair | Sweetwater.com It is $100 more than buying two C214's individually, but it does include the shock mounts. I don't really buy into the "matched pair" thing. The way I see it a company should have good enough quality control to not have to do seperate testing to make sure two of the same mics sound the same. The point here is that for the price of only one 414, you'll be able to get two of the 214's with shock mounts, and be able to use them as stereo overheads on a drumset, in addition to as a vocal mic.

Overall:
1) 414 Pro Studio or Nicer Home Studio
2) 214 Home Studio or Pro Studio Pair

This is just my dos centavos so take it for what it's worth to you. :thumbs up:

What would you guys suggest for hip hop vocals ?

When you say "hip hop vocals"...are you really talking about mostly spoken rap....or do you mean actual singing of melodies by male/female vocalist?

That will make a difference in your selection.

From your list I would have gone straight to the U87 - it is the "industry standard", if you can use that word; is a known quantity and sits well in a mix.

Though I would also look at alternatives, such as the Gefell UMT70S or the Brauner.

The trouble is, the true industry standard isn't a single mic. It's having a cupboard full of different mics so they can choose the one that works best on the source they're recording at any given time.

Of the ones you list, the U87 is probably the most commonly used for a lot of vocal applications, both musical and spoken word.

Number 2 would be the C414--great for a lot of things but it can be fussy about what sources it sounds good on.

I've not used the Cactus or the 4060 nor seen them very often in studios--not to say they're bad in any way...I don't know...but that they're not quite as industry standard as the other two.

For the money you're spending, any decent supplier should let you audition the mics on your own voice and see which is best for you.

...and, as always, the big caution is that the best mic and pre amp in the world can sound pretty rubbish if your room sounds rubbish.

The end result of what makes you happy has many components. It is entirely possible that a much cheaper mic could be "the" mic. It's like Goldie Locks and the porridge. Only your ears will tell you which mic is best........try everything.

Thank you everyone for replying, all responses are useful information. and i reffered to hiphop as singing as well. harmonies etc. the RE20 was mentioned in a prev. post, i had a guy at a shop trying to sell me this RE320, saying its a great mic, and the cheaper version of the RE20. he apparently didnt have any of that. . . but ive heard good things about that mic. especially in the warmth area for thinner voices. which happens to be where im at. I went ahead and purchased a C214. because i had to try it. found it at a local pawn shop by coincidence. for $100. They guy didnt even know what a condensor mic was. Steal. Ive been workin with it, i like it.. though I dont know if its what im looking for. Im going to look into the u-87, brauner, and RE20. Those appeal to me the most at the moment. and just gonna go ahead and SKip the 414. May be the classic mic n what not. But i dont see that it'll be too much different than the c214. I may be wrong, but oh well. The insight on this website is great, I have been signed with 2 major record labels in the past, and Ultimiately choosing the Independant route. This stuff i never had to worry about previously.. so every bit helps. If anyone has opinions still on the Cactus and Audio Technica4060, still let me know. Thanks guys

Depends where you are.
In UK millions of people have probably heard most things via an STC-4038 (now Coles) from the Beeb than any other mic.
Worldwide I would say a very large percentage of voices have come to us through an SM57/58? Yer gotta have at least one of dem!

Dave.

Depends where you are.
In UK millions of people have probably heard most things via an STC-4038 (now Coles) from the Beeb than any other mic.
Worldwide I would say a very large percentage of voices have come to us through an SM57/58? Yer gotta have at least one of dem!

Dave.

It's a while since the Coles ribbon mic has been in general use at the BBC (though the 4104 "lip mic" is still awfully useful at noisy sporting events or for recording news commentaries at some sort of field edit suites).

Their radio studios have a wide range of different mics nowadays. Radio 1 uses a lot of U87s. Speech based stuff like Radio 4 uses a lot of SDCs (AKG blue line the last studio I was in at the World Service) or, for dynamics, the Beyer M201 is very common indeed--a dynamic that sound pretty condenser-ish. They also have a smattering of Neumann TLM series here and there in the system.

I haven't seen any 57/58s and RE20s/SM7Bs are scarce as well.

It's a while since the Coles ribbon mic has been in general use at the BBC (though the 4104 "lip mic" is still awfully useful at noisy sporting events or for recording news commentaries at some sort of field edit suites).

Their radio studios have a wide range of different mics nowadays. Radio 1 uses a lot of U87s. Speech based stuff like Radio 4 uses a lot of SDCs (AKG blue line the last studio I was in at the World Service) or, for dynamics, the Beyer M201 is very common indeed--a dynamic that sound pretty condenser-ish. They also have a smattering of Neumann TLM series here and there in the system.

I haven't seen any 57/58s and RE20s/SM7Bs are scarce as well.

Yo Bobbs! I meant "historically" over years. I have a recording of early BBC2 (FM sound) of the MJQ, all 4038s and lovely it sounds as well!

You see quite a few 58's in TV proggs when there is a guest singer on.

Dave.

Ah, musical acts on TV are different.

It's pretty typical for the band or singer to choose the kind of live mic they want...or even bring their own. Indeed, any larger act tends to bring their own sound guy (you know, Gerg's scum of the earth!) to mix the performance or at least work with the studio sound guy to ensure the mix is as they want.

Ah, musical acts on TV are different.

It's pretty typical for the band or singer to choose the kind of live mic they want...or even bring their own. Indeed, any larger act tends to bring their own sound guy (you know, Gerg's scum of the earth!) to mix the performance or at least work with the studio sound guy to ensure the mix is as they want.

Ah so!
Have you read the SoS article about Jools Holland and the production of Later? If you can't find it Ill send you a mag if you are interested.

Dave.

Back