Individual drum EQ

ollie44

hey guys, i'm sure it's basic but i was just wondering how i should EQ separate drums? i've just used ultrabeat in logic to make a loop and when i EQ, it changes the whole kit ...
thanks

Unless each drum is on its' own separate track, you can't. It's like trying to un-scramble an omelette so that you can add pepper to just the cheese.

if you're using virtual drums you probably shouldn't need to eq. sometimes i'll do a bit to the snare and kick on their own tracks, and sometimes to the OHs.

if the whole loop is on one track all EQ will be universal (the whole kit), if each drum is separated on its own track you can EQ without messing with the others.

i think it's best to think of the drums as one instrument and try to get it to sound like it all works together, rather than a snare playing along with a kick and toms and cymbals.

if the drum kit is bounced down to a stereo mix, then you're depending on the levels the drums where mixed at relevant to each other. Not much you can do about that unless you add individual samples underneath. Best case scenario is to separate the tracks if possible. You always want to strive for independent control of each drum.

Yeah I don't use virtual drums much, what I should have made a distinction between what I've done with virtual and what I do with real drums.

As said before, unless each piece of virtual kit is on it's own track, you'll be stuck with the whole mix getting the EQ changes.

Here is what I do, but I don't know if you can. I'm not familiar with what you're using.

I use EZDrummer for box drums, and it has it's own built-in mixer. If your program has this, try soloing one piece at a time and bouncing just that piece to a new mono audio track. You can then EQ it by itself. Do this for each piece, and if you want to play around with it you can do the same with overheads, etc.

The best thing you can do is not use Ultrabeat. If it doesn't have multiple virtual outputs it's no good. Give NI's Battery a try, or better yet, just add some audio tracks to the session and set up a loop there (yes, manually!). Give each drum it's own channel and viola!

Back