indie-/underground-/noise-/alternativerock (sonic youth, sebadoh)

snibbel

blake blackson

edit: I changed the subject, this is the old one:

"indie-/underground-/noise-/alternativerock (sonic youth, sebadoh)"

Hi there!

I recently started recording two tracks of a band with my Yamaha AW 4416. It's sounds a bit like the bands mentioned in the subject, but still quite original (at least in my opinion :)) You can listen to & download a very first rough mix of one of the tracks

->here<-.

The volume is a bit low, so you might have to turn up your speakers a good way.

I'm away from my studio for one week and I already know about some things I want to change in the mix. But I'm planning to consistently post updates here, as I'm very interested in everyone's opinion. I don't like giving any statements about my recording setup before you listened to the mix, so that you can "listen without prejudice" :)

I appreciate all comments!

Last edited:
jeez..this mix sounds pretty freaking great to me..man i would be fucking stoked to have my stuff sound this clear.......but where the hell is the vocals????.....this is actually cool enough to hold my attention without them so far....but there has to be a vocal track right?.....i heard one drum lapse in a fill....just a bit behind the beat...around 2 minutes or so ..sorry i want watching the timer.......man please post the whole song...?...do it for me.....you owe me......look at all ive done for you.......:D

very cool
jamal

Last edited:
it does sound good and very clean.........i would back jamal in saying that a vocal track could make it sound pretty sweet..........of course, it sounds great now, but a good vocal track really could add a lot...............nice job so far

Thanx a lot for your replies! They're really appreciated! (Although I don't mind to get negative comments as well, as long as they are "constructive". :))

The vocals aren't recorded yet and I want to wait til I receive the preamp I just won the auction for at eBay, and that's gonna be in about two weeks since I'm from Germany and the preamp is in the US :) It's a dbx 376 and I hope it will improve the voice sound.

Yes, the drums are behind one or two times; i think it's always in the chorus, when he hits the toms (which sound like crap by the way, i already did a lot of tweaking and compressing trying to make them sound better).

I will post an update after the next weekend if i got another mix; maybe i've started mixing the second tune then as well. And once I recorded the vocals I'll immediately post it here :D ...

Thx again!

I really like the feel and the dynamics but I don't think it fully carries itself as an instrumental. Are vocals planned for this? The drums have some timing probs here and there, most noticeable during the fills, but other than that it sounds pretty darn good to my ears.

320kbps sounds great, but the near 10M file size might be just a bit much for some people (like me) with dial-up. For hi-fi, I think 192kbps constant bit rate, or good quality VBR strikes a good balance between quality and file size.

There's a noticeable pop at 2:58 and some nasty ones at the end of the file. Unless my copy is corrupted, you want to find out what's causing that.

[edit]

Some of my questions were answered after reading the thread :). Depending on my mood, I may or may not read comments before posting mine... and this time I didn't.

Guitars sound really nice, bass drum seems to be fairly weak to me. I must agree though, cant wait to hear vocals on this. Hopefully the band your recording has something vocally great to add to this. The dryness of the mix works with this. Has a very real sound. simple but nice.

Let us know when vocals are there

Brian

Nice job-I like the dry intimate drum sound you got-I agree that vocals sure would help-but you seem off to a good start-I'll check back for when you get the vox done-looking forward to the finished product.

here are some mix guesses, im listening on crappy headphones right now....

big distortred guitars may need some low cut......

some rumble on some tom parts......

bass needs some compression during the chorus......

see my first line for disclaimer.....

pglewis said:
I really like the feel and the dynamics but I don't think it fully carries itself as an instrumental. Are vocals planned for this? The drums have some timing probs here and there, most noticeable during the fills, but other than that it sounds pretty darn good to my ears.

Thx a lot! Yeah, the fills aren't played very well. I don't the like the sound very much of them either, the drummer didn't hit the toms strong enough to get that powerful rock sound, but maybe that's the sound he likes...

pglewis said:

320kbps sounds great, but the near 10M file size might be just a bit much for some people (like me) with dial-up. For hi-fi, I think 192kbps constant bit rate, or good quality VBR strikes a good balance between quality and file size.

I'll try to add a 192kbps-file as well then, you might be right with large file :)

pglewis said:

There's a noticeable pop at 2:58 and some nasty ones at the end of the file. Unless my copy is corrupted, you want to find out what's causing that.

I think that one's from the only time the drummer hit the mic; i noticed it too late. The nasty ones at the end are from my sh*tty comp, he's not good at encoding when i have other stuff running...

pglewis said:

[edit]

Some of my questions were answered after reading the thread :). Depending on my mood, I may or may not read comments before posting mine... and this time I didn't.

Thx for your comments nevertheless! :)

@SixStringBlues Thx for your comments! What do you mean by 'weak' when describing the bassdrum? I'm not satisfied as well with it yet; I think a bit more 'kick' woulnd't be bad, but the volume is ok (if not too loud in the verse).

@stratomaster Thx for listening and posting comments! I'm more into dry drum-sound or a short room-like verb :) Fits better with this type o' music I'd say.

@Gidge Thank you too! I'll work on the distorted guitars, I'm not sure if they've got to much low end or are lacking in presence, but I've got some ideas and I'll try them when I'm back at my AW again... As I've already mentioned, I've had my problems with the toms, maybe they have too much lows after i EQ'ed em...gonna check that. The bassguitar doesn't get through well enough in the chorus, another point at which I agree. I see what I can do 'bout that; I've got two bass tracks, so there seem to be quite a few possibilities...

Last edited:
I listened to the 320.. it sounded good and it's a good tune, but I heard a few drum clams.. This definitely needs vocals.. good tune.. those toms seem out of hand too.. nice recording.

B.SABBATH said:
(...) but I heard a few drum clams (...)

What's that? Sorry, I'm from Germany, my english not that good and i don't understand everything :) Are you referring to the noise someoneelse has mentioned as well? I noticed this only on one place, are there any more?

btw, I'm uploading a 192kbps version at the moment, but i had to delete 128 one for this (not enough space).

WOW!

This thing kicks AAASSS!! It's one of those songs with a quiet intensity, that builds into an awesome chorus... beauti-freakin-full!!! :) :) Download, fer sure!!

This will rule with some out of control VOX, and some better level management. The busier parts of the mix could use some detail-mixing, as you probably realize... You seem to have similar problems with the tom-tom levels to the ones I was having :D

I could even see a small synth-whistle or something gliding over the top of the second verse... beautiful, man. The dynamics remind me of music by the band "Local H", and yes to an extent "Sonic Youth"...

Don't ever leave this board! :D

Chad

Bass drum

On the Bass drum note. Please take what I say with a grain of salt. To "MY" ears, The bass drum needs some more bass, not volume, as I can hear it in the mix ok, but it seems to be lacking in enough frequency to fill up the bottom and give the song a strong foundation. This is only what I hear from where I am sitting. Hopefully someone else will address this and either agree with me or shoot me out of the water. I think its nothing more than a little EQ tweak. But if the bass drum was dead when you recorded it then thats another problem in itself. I only say that because you already have some issues with the drums as you said earlier. Look forward to hearing additional stages of this song.

Keep it up,

Brian

One more thing

Sorry, just listened to it again, The bass drum lacks attack. Its very soft sounding. Without some attack on it you loss definition. I think that may be what you are missing on the toms, thats what you want to hear. You are not getting any cut through on the skins at all. Let me know what you think, agree or think I am crazy.

Brian

Back