Indie Shout - Pay for Play article / reviews / contest

ChristopherM

Please check out the latest update of the e-zine Indie Shout (www.indieshout.com).

This time around, there is an article discussing the "pay for play" situation, two CD reviews, and a contest to win some free stuff.
As always, the older articles, reviews, and interviews are archived for your continuing reading pleasure.

Thanks
Christopher
editor@indieshout.com

ChristopherM said:
Please check out the latest update of the e-zine Indie Shout (www.indieshout.com).

This time around, there is an article discussing the "pay for play" situation, two CD reviews, and a contest to win some free stuff.
As always, the older articles, reviews, and interviews are archived for your continuing reading pleasure.

Thanks
Christopher
editor@indieshout.com
Didn't think the contest was too hard, but have no entries as of yet.
No-one wants a free t-shirt, a dollar, and a roll of duct tape? Sheesh!

:D

Hey Chris

Its nice to see that somehow you still have managed not to review the album i sent you but thats understandable you and i have switched places. I spend most of my day reviewing prospective artists who represent all types of genres and you review the things you think are worth putting forward in the public eye. I love the concept but so far i keep seeing the same thing on your site each time i check back and hope to see a little bit more diversity on your site. Part of the reason why im thinking theres nothing going on is because you wont be gutsy be the first guy to put up something a hell of alot more innovative than whats on radio or the web. Im waiting for you to review a hip hop artist. I myself cant imagine why you dont. Ive read about these other bands and have put out bands like them in the past, but what i dont understand is how , a good deal of other people and of course me myself included, can't seem to get a break with you man. Im not the only urban act out there thats submitted material to you and before you were talking about LA area only etc etc...but people from my own state got reviewed and Im talkin NY state! Im not gonna continue to flood you with the other 17 acts my label represents if you wont even say you received the material the company sends you. Did you even give the cd a spin? Did you listen to a good 30 seconds of audio per track? I feel robbed dude. When you couldnt find anybody to give you albums you asked this site about helping you out and dammit thats where im from, is this site. And I sent you one of the last first pressings of the album that i had in my possession... yeah we ran out of covers and i sent you a facsimile...yeah we fired our photographer and i had to scramble for a flick to send you but damn! Thats the bizness! If you think what i sent you is garbage..then put up a link to my webpage on your site no audio hosting from you or anything like that and ask this forum if the Victors Circle album is garbage.

You mentioned pay to play...is it coming to the point where we gotta pay you to review our stuff? I feel kind of shorted...I mean if the case is that I have to pay someone to review my albums then i believe ive left the indie realm on some levels. But all im really saying is that you have a great opportunity on your hands to do something first and you sittin on my LP like its an egg that wont hatch...I say give me a shot...Do i really have to bug you to get a review? Then fine I will..

You know the email

mtolympusceo@yahoo.com
Peace
Illumination
CEO and Founder
Mt. Olympus Records

Its nice to see that somehow you still have managed not to review the album i sent you but thats understandable you and i have switched places. I spend most of my day reviewing prospective artists who represent all types of genres and you review the things you think are worth putting forward in the public eye.
Great, glad to see you're helping others.

I love the concept but so far i keep seeing the same thing on your site each time i check back and hope to see a little bit more diversity on your site. Part of the reason why im thinking theres nothing going on is because you wont be gutsy be the first guy to put up something a hell of alot more innovative than whats on radio or the web. Im waiting for you to review a hip hop artist. I myself cant imagine why you dont.
First, there IS actually quite a diversity on the site. Even as far as a review for a comedy album. There's country, emo, rock, blues, punk, brit pop, etc. Yeah, there are no rap or hip-hop acts. Really, no-one has submitted anyting. The only hip-hop genre mailing I got was yours.

Ive read about these other bands and have put out bands like them in the past, but what i dont understand is how , a good deal of other people and of course me myself included, can't seem to get a break with you man. Im not the only urban act out there thats submitted material to you and before you were talking about LA area only etc etc...but people from my own state got reviewed and Im talkin NY state!
I never said "LA area only." In fact, I originally didn't intend to do reviews in the first place. I don't have a lot of spare time, and it's tough to get the site updated, doing reviews as well just takes a bunch more time. I've had to scale back to monthly updates (from weekly) as it is! If something crosses my nose that seems review-worthy, I'll put up a review. I don't care what genre, I don't care where they're from, etc.

Im not gonna continue to flood you with the other 17 acts my label represents if you wont even say you received the material the company sends you. Did you even give the cd a spin? Did you listen to a good 30 seconds of audio per track?
Yes, I did. I listen to everything I get. Only the very best will get posted reviews because I simply don't have time to review everything I get (NO 'zine does) and I won't post a review if I don't like a CD. Honestly, I'm not saying your CD was bad, but it didn't stand out as much as some of the others. Hell, I would have posted a review anyway just to have a hiphop act if there was anything at all to suggest that it was a viable act. You say you're selling lots of discs? OK, maybe. Can't find it for sale online, so you must be doing it cottage-industry style. Other than that, I've come up completely blank in searches for any info on your stuff (more on this later/below).

feel robbed dude.
Sorry.

When you couldnt find anybody to give you albums you asked this site about helping you out and dammit thats where im from, is this site.
Actually, I can't recall asking for "albums." I asked for leads for people to interview, ideas for articles, text, submissions, etc. I haven't had to ask for "albums" because I already get way too many.

And I sent you one of the last first pressings of the album that i had in my possession... yeah we ran out of covers and i sent you a facsimile...yeah we fired our photographer and i had to scramble for a flick to send you but damn! Thats the bizness!
Illacov,
What you sent me was not a "pressing." What you sent was an Imation CDR with NO label or info on it, a cracked thinline jewel case, and a 3"x3" photocopied track listing. Hardly a promo pack. Most artists/labels send an info sheet with the CD at the very least.

If you think what i sent you is garbage..then put up a link to my webpage on your site no audio hosting from you or anything like that and ask this forum if the Victors Circle album is garbage.
Indie Shout is about helping indie musicians. I don't see how this helps anyone.

You mentioned pay to play...is it coming to the point where we gotta pay you to review our stuff? I feel kind of shorted...I mean if the case is that I have to pay someone to review my albums then i believe ive left the indie realm on some levels. But all im really saying is that you have a great opportunity on your hands to do something first and you sittin on my LP like its an egg that wont hatch...I say give me a shot...Do i really have to bug you to get a review? Then fine I will..
Is Indie Shout the ONLY 'zine you've contacted? Geez! I can't even LIST the number of 'zines I sent my own personal CD to, and I haven't gotten much press. I've gotten some little local papers, etc., but almost ZILCH on the web. You can't let these things hurt your feelings. Like I said, I get LOADS of CDs and only have time to review so many.

Also, before I will post a review of a CDR, I would like to see some info on the the artist and, in your case, the label. I couldn't find ANYTHING online in any credible form. Does Mount Olympus Records not have a website? You mentioned one in your post, but I can't find one. Seriously. I couldn't use the info you sent me because, well, you didn't SEND any!

There's nothing wrong with running a label from your home. Loads of us do it. If you're going to call yourself a "CEO," though, you should, in my humble opinion, try to create more of an "executive presence" for yourself. Spend the twenty bucks or so it takes to register MountOlympusRecords.com (it's available according to the WHOIS I just checked). Buy a hundred-dollar two-megapixel digital camera and take some photos. Buy a decent printer and make some CD covers (you can buy printers that will print right on your CDR for under a hundred bucks now). Send your CD out in a padded envelope with lots of info (read the promo pack articles on Indie Shout). Send your CD/promo to SEVERAL ezines, etc. (if you use the media mail rate it won't be too expensive...takes ten days though). All this should be pocket change for a record company CEO, and it's not that much of an investment even to a young guy in New York trying to launch a record label.

Hopefully, you don't find this offensive. I'm really trying to be helpful here. I've just spent forty-five minutes of valuable recording time composing this response.

Oh, and by the way, there actually IS a website that claims to review everything sent in... www.DemoUniverse.com. The backlog is about a year-and-a-half, though.

Christopher
editor@indieshout.com

Oh...everyone else...

By the way - pulled the forum contest out of sheer embarrassment :)
Why are the Indie Shout discussion forums so DEAD? Geez!
The site gets loads of hits, but no forum action!

Christopher
editor@indieshout.com

Hello Chris

Sorry about the state of the cd you received...slim pak j cases tend to crack once they're mailed..go figure.

As far as not having a webpage...i guess a gremlin ate the liner with the webpage address again its

http://mtolympusrecords.bravehost.com

yes that sites been there for a while

im suprised you actually listened to it..and im far from mistaken since you went on this site and sed you needed an artist to review...whether or not you want to call that a lead or a whatever..you were as desperate as me at one point to get your new exciting idea going ...so you made an impassioned plea for help.

45 minutes of recording time??? Valuable? Ok im sorry...but you're the one with the website about REVIEWING ACTS...are you for real on that one man?
You post up here about you have a contest going etc etc, then remove it because noone entered...ok but i didnt prompt you to do that...did you lose valuable recording time when that happened too?

If its that serious man then why even answer the post? I didnt force you to do anything i simply spoke my mind..you are an adult as much as I am and if you dont have the time because you're occupied then so be it...but dont go waving your studio time this and that in my face like im supposed to leave you alone when i have a valid question to ask you. If i felt i wasnt being giving a chance to speak my point then thats the reason i wrote the post...for Christ's sake maybe if you did review more acts and different kinds of acts you might have more people on your site that posted and left an imprint.

Maybe you dont see it that way..but im willing to bet you an ice cream soda that the majority of people who check your site are A: YOU and B: The people who submitted their material and who are hoping they got reviewed. Now if you want other people who ie dont do music to be on your site...then you've got to ask yourself...who is your site meant for? Is it really about the artists? Or the listeners? Format dude, format. So far your page is really only for people to self appreciate themselves...i havent really "discovered" anything on your site thats beyond the normal scope of an artist based site...these guys might as well be your friends..based on the way people are reacting to your chosen acts...Realistically..you need to get that UN feel going if you want more activity on your site...its got to be like Grand Central Station on your site...you need to put the word out that your site is the place to catch the exclusive unsigned hype...not just well "bands." The reason i keep pressing for the urban aspect is because this site itself has a section dedicated to urban music. Maybe other people consider this a rock site etc but thats speaking to a particular group of people.
I may not have given you the most professional packaging..but i gave you what i had available. As for the nice pic i emailed you apparently you never got that...based on your reply about the digital camera...nice touch. It speaks volumes when i get chewed out by people who wont check their own e-mail and the getting chewed out is in regards to what they were supposed to get in the mail ;) If you got the picture its me the caramel colored guy in a doo rag with a whole bunch of me's in the background. I also really like the fact that you have "plenty" of pics of what the bands cds looked like...if those pictures are any representation you owe me an apology. (that's sarcasm by the way :)

....I still like the premise at the very least of IndieShout...it just seems like you aint really shoutin anything anybody cares to hear.

Dont get offended..its the truth..the same reason that you think my cd isnt supposed to be on your site is the same reason your site isnt on the minds of many instead of a pompous few.
I guess they dont stand out to the particular (person place or thing) in question.
PS The envelope was padded. And media rate SUCKS...10 days is far from correct...try 17 days for 80 cds to go from Upstate NY to CT....hardy frickin har..no thanks.
Been there done that already.

Peace
Illumination
CEO and Founder
Mt. Olympus Records

Well, sorry you took offense.

Like I said, the site wasn't designed for reviewing CDs.
The reviews are just there because of popular demand.

I still stand by my advice. Take it or leave it.

Cheers,
Christopher

Back