Indie Folkish Tune for your Review

Overall, the sound is the early days of Pop. Mamas & Papas, Hollies, that sort of thing.
The vocals are sweet but are entirely hidden by the acoustic guitar.
Nice beat too but it kind of takes over in places.
Very often, when someone mixes like this, it's to disguise hiss, bad notes, etc. or just still getting a feel for it.
It's a work in progress and not a bad one by any means.

Nice singing and playing. I liked the song too. Later on I think I'm hearing some pitchy vocals.

Yeah the vocals are way buried. they could use some (more) compression.

The acoustic guitar sounds a little cheap and boxy.

Drums are OK, but sound a little "programmy."

Cool. I like it. A very nice overall feel to the whole thing.

Mix-wise, I would bring the vocals up quite a bit. Acoustic guitar could come down, and maybe the drums could be a little less bright and forward in the mix? I dunno. Like I said, I like it, but I imagine a better overall sound here even by just changing the levels if nothing else.

Yep. I says to myself," It's '66 all over! Really liked the sound of the guitar. The brushes were nice, too.

I like the song. Very Elliot Smith, but I'm sure you get that all the time.

I have problems with the guitar tone and the cymbal in the left ear, can hear some phasy stuff going on in both - how are you recording the guitar?

As others have mentioned, the vocals are too low and the acoustic guit is too high.

First thing I'd do is make those simple level changes and perhaps a bit of EQ to kill the overly bright cymbal then repost so we can have another listen.

It's a good song.. keep at it. Well done so far...

Yep - the guitars are too loud in the mix compared to the vocals. From what I can hear the vocal pre seems to be nice.

thanks tribe..:D:D:D:D

I've got new mix with everyone's feedback in mind (below). In General, I bring up the vox nicely and dull the high's on the mix...i'm done with this one as its just a demo. Hope to track next month for reals. Issue was my buddy did the drums, acoustic and bass at his place and I was working with that mixdown and just threw the vox layers/2nd gtr on top..

Elliott Smith is the obvious influence indeed. The drum fill is lifted from "Speed Trials";)

http://www.box.net/shared/sgi2zlxcdu <------latest MIX MUCH BETTER I THINK, YOU? Okay, no but seriously, thanks for the help everyone...MORE TO COME :)

Last edited:
Second mix is better, I like the feel and melody of the song. I have the same type of soft voice, tricky to record. What Mic and pre did you use?

Second mix is better, I like the feel and melody of the song. I have the same type of soft voice, tricky to record. What Mic and pre did you use?

Thanks, glad you like, means a lot to hear that.

I used
AT 4033 &
Focusrite Platinum voicemaster

both of which I bought on Ebay for half price! Whooeeee!

Nice, definitely Elliott Smith influenced. I lifted the drums from the begining of Waltz Two a few years ago with the intentions of using as a click and replacing it later. Still haven't gotten around to that, and it was done on my old ProTools system which I don't use anymore.

Drums sound cool, vocals are little weird to me with that reverb and the distant harmony. guitars are still a little high I think.

Back