indexing or linking good ideas

oneArtist

Hello to those organized people out there,

There are so many valuable and helpful post made on this and other forums.
What is a good way to organize them into a developing manuel rather than
trying to remember where you saw a tip and searching or linking back to it.
Is there a prefered Word or Publisher program that would be best. I can see
giving each post a one or two word title that could be used in the index or
link. That way when I want to find it, my brain would filter back through my
way of organizing information.
As a Building Contractor, I considered it a waste of time to look through
piles of stuff to find what I needed. I developed the following systems to
keep searching to a mimimum. In a large storage area, I started at one point
and grouped all the foundation materials together. I then rotated around the
room to each developing stage of construction. For small tools and project
materials, I kept boxes. All small drywall tools went into a box. Tile tools
into another box etc. For recording, a box or file for fx filtering could be
established. Then, any tips or tools for fx filtering could be put in this
file. My question is, what is the best and easiest sytem for finding the box
or file for fx filtering?

Think about good things

Chuck

I'm a low tech kind of guy.

I print out the good threads, pu them in a binder, and use post it notes on the pages as an index. The binders reside next to the computer monitor in my studio.

Right next to my "Home Recording for DUmmies" manual;)

I keep a Word document with URL links to key fixes, ideas, or other info I might need at a later time. Each is usually a short paragraph. Searching is then easy.

Google is also a great source in general for finding PC problem solutions.

Ed

Ed,

The URL idea is good. I could do that until I get an indexing system set up. I guess I enjoy organizing things.

Think about good things

Chuck

What about an online index. Not hard to do... Set up a database with that stores the title, description, keywords and link. Could categorise the entries or whatever. Anyone could add an entry and they could get verified by someone else. A script could run now and then making sure the links still exist and remove the dead entries......

If you want it I can make it..... :)

Michael,

Sounds like a great idea. It sounds like you have the know how to make it work. Is there a way to separate links to Cubase from threads about Samplitude? Maybe there could be abreviations for the software in the index. If you could pull this off, you may create one hughly popular site.

Chuck

Well, I've got a user interfaces and a 2d animation assignment due this week, so once I've finished those I'll start trying to work something out.

Michael,

Take your time. Good luck on your assignments. What software are you using to do the animations? What is your major?

Think about good things,

Chuck

The animation is in Flash MX. It shouldn't take too long but it's just taking so long to get going on it. I spend too much time drawing things and then deciding I don't like it and starting again. The user interfaces is just a java program using Swing. I'm studying IT n Multimedia. It's pretty much the uni's computer science degree with a multimedia component as well.

It sounds like your're a perfectionist. Perfectionist often get hung up on the few details that arn't quite right and miss the beauty of what they're doing. My daughter is like that. You probably here people tell you how good your work looks but you still focus on whats wrong. Try to stand back and appreciate it as a another viewer and say, "it's good as it is". "I like it". If I'm reading too much into this, excuse me. I know that perfectionist can make themselves miserable.

Think about good things,

Chuck

ps I have Front Page as part of office 2000 package and I've been fooling around with it a little.

Usually once I start I'm fine. I guess I like doing things properly, but I don't get that worked up about things.
I'll probably do most of this thing in php using a mySQL database. I've never really used Frontpage. I've thought about how the database could be set up. Basically, you can have any number of categories, and they can have however many levels of subcategories you want. Users who sign up could add links, and have a members area sort of thing which can hold their favourite links or something. Only an admin sort of person would be able to add categories, and links could be verifed by them as well. Well thats the basic plan, if only implementing it was that simple. :)

Quote from my tech teacher at school "If worth doing, do it well".

I doubt it. My drum tab site wasn't worth anything in year 12 when we were doing basic javascripting and that uses some pretty complicated php/database stuff as well.

Back